ATI Radeon 9000

Guest BlackSnow

The DRI drivers tilll 23/09 don't recognize the Radeon 9000 (I haven't tried later builds, but remember, the Radeon 8500 has the R200 chip, while the 9000 has the R250). Anyway, the best idea is to download the latest r200 DRI driver from http://dri.sf.net and then "fool" X to make it recognize the card as an ATI Radeon 8500. This way, you'll get at least 2D acceleration enabled till proper drivers come out. The idea is to add the line

ChipID 0x4242

to the Device section in XF86Config-4.

• 2 weeks later...

:( Man once again i really should have done my research. I saw all those fancy graphs and thought a company like this in competition with Nvidia has to have drivers. But nope no drivers, support only available for there older lines. Well if drivers aren't out soon i'll just switch back to nvidia for good. Should have known better :evil: Oh well live and learn.

Anyway does fooling X work for this card also (Radeon 9700)? If so were do i go to get the chip ID?

Get the MOST RECENT snapshot from DRI first, as the older ones had a glibc incompatibility that made X crash hopelessly. Unpack the archive, cd to the "dripkg" directory and run "./install.sh" as root.

Then edit your XF86Config-4 file. In the "Device Section" put

ChipID 0x4242 right above "EndSection" and don't forget to add

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

in the file, to make direct rendering accessible for non-root users.

(not sure if it will work with the R9700 as it uses the r300 chip, but it's worth a shot!)