corrupted sound (in vmware 4.5) with mdk10

evilhomer

• 3 months later...
Guest perisha
Driving me crazy.  Sometimes sounds ok (rarely), usually it's not.  Occasionally crashes on KDE startup.  Is just silent or makes some twisted sound.  Any ideas?

I had this problem recently too. What might get you back into KDE is to not have VMware the main window focus when it boots up. When I did this I got in, and got a dialogue box saying -

KNotify problem - During the previous startup, KNotify crashed while instantiating KNotify. Do you want to try again or disable aRts sound output?

Try again or Disable aRts Output buttons are shown.

I chose Try Again to see if it still comes up. I don't know if "disabling aRts Output" will kill all my sound so I may just do my fix above till I figure it out.

Same thing here. No fix. Sometimes it crashes so hard when starting it that KDE just doesn't get started at all. Then the only thing I can do is to shut down the virtual machine and restart it. And then sometimes it just boots as it should without any problems. But most of the time I get the Knotify message as mentioned in the post above.

Sorry, don't have a fix for that either. I can only confirm.

Ciao,

Sitor