Combining Commands

ac_dispatcher

I just bought my forth Linux book on Sunday (April 25 my birthday). I know their is a lot of stuff free on the web but I just wanted some good reference books. I now have

Linux Server Hacks <---great book

Linux Power Tools

Linux Pocket Guide

Essential System Admin Pocket Reference

Inspired by VeeDubb and I have decided to try a weekly/bi-weekly "AC's stupid tricks". A sort of newbie guide to some common things they may see. (maybe a little advanced to).

This week is Combining Commands (Linux Pocket Guide pg 26)

A lot of times you will come across some instructions that have lets say a "&&" in it. What does that mean/do? Here ya go -

Their are three basic ways you'll see commands combined:

$ command1 ; command2 ; command3

or

$ command1 && command2 && command3 <----- I have found this most common

or

$ command1 || command2 || command3

Explanation:

$ command1 ; command2 ; command3

The semi colon ";" is used to separate the commands. This command will invoke several commands in sequence.

$ command1 && command2 && command3

Now we have used a "&&" instead. This will also invoke a set of commands in sequence. The difference? It will stop execution if any command fails.

$ command1 || command2 || command3

Last is the "||" used to separate them. This will run a sequence of commands , stopping execution as soon as one succeeds.

Well I did not set out to tell you how you use these commands - thats for you to learn :P but hopefully you will know the use of ; or && or || in combining commands. Maybe some of the kind board folk can give some common examples?

Edit:

Not sure if this would be a "Tip" or "Trick". Not really sure where this post may belong. Mods / Admins feel free to move it. Thanks guys.

Edited by ac_dispatcher