Getting the boot.iso with Windoze...

Ciinien

This post may not be needed, but I thought a new user or two might be wondering how to get v10-Official without a lot of hassle since Mandrake hasn't yet released the ISOs for version 10-Official because they are still selling it from the Mandrake store with the PowerPak... B) . This mini-guide is kind of my way of giving a little back to the community for all the help everyone has given me since I began my Tux journey a couple of weeks ago.

This post covers using a Windoze box to download and burn the boot image for v10-Official to CD, which in turn allows one to boot their prospective [standalone] Linux box and get v10-Official straight off the web via ftp. This would also apply to a dual-boot scenario--simply use LILO or Grub where applicable to complete that process. Please keep in mind, however, that this is the one and only time we will mention dual-booting and this guide is specifically geared toward getting the files on a standalone Windoze box and installing them on a standalone Linux box. There are several other methods of going about doing what I outline here. For me, the following method was the simplest, fastest, and most intuitive.

WARNING, Will Robinson: We'll be doing a clean install here NOT an upgrade--if you have anything from an older Linux installation you wish to keep that might not be in the RPM directories (e.g. bookmarks.html, data files, plug-ins, etc.), save those RPMs, tarballs and/or files to CD before following the steps outlined here.

NOTE: This *can* be a relatively slow process depending upon your ISPs current serving load and the web and mirror traffic at the time of your download (for me, on a cable modem, it was about 3.25 hours from booting the CD to looking at KDE but your mileage will vary). Having said all that, the mirror we will use for this example downloads pretty fast as a general rule. Another reason it can sometimes be slow is that ALL the hdlists, synth-files, network drivers, applicable hardware drivers, et al, have to be retrieved and checksummed. If the files all pass their MD5 test, they are then loaded into memory and the actual install begins. If it appears that the download might have stalled, chill! Get a cup of coffee, a Pepsi, a beer, take a smoke break, watch a movie with the significant other and/or kids (if applicable), whatever... rofl.

Edit: After having my attention called to it in a PM, I realized I had inadvertantly created a typo on the download time above. Originally I had put fifteen minutes, which is impossible, even across a T1! I have changed the time to include the correct hours figure as well. My apologies for the typo... :oops:

The most important thing is: DO NOT interrupt your box during this phase or you might have to download and install a bunch of network drivers and junk and use both floppy and CD for your install. You really don't wanna mess with all that unless you're pretty experienced with both Windoze and Linux, and have a lot of time. Once the downloads start, just let your computer do it's thing. Check on it every so often though, so you can answer any prompts it might spit out.

Okay, here we go, sports fans:

1. Go to whichever ftp server you normally use, we'll use ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr for this example (I use this one because I generally get great download speeds and they usually have files sooner than some of the other mirrors... ;)).
  2. Navigate to the /images directory to snag the boot.iso file--for the ftp://club-internet.fr server this is: /pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/images (don't close this browser window just yet, you'll need some other urls for a later install step and it's just simpler and easier if they're handy in your browser's location bar as you navigate among them
  3. Check out the install.txt and the install.htm on the way to the /images directory for specific instructions if you've got your propeller cap on at the time
  4. Otherwise, the instructions found in the install.* file(s) might be a little confusing for new users; here's the skinny for all my fellow non-prop-heads:

1. Copy the boot.iso from /images directory to a temp directory somewhere on your Windoze box. It doesn't matter where, you can delete this entire temp directory when we're through with it if you like
    2. Fire up your favorite burning software (I use EasyCD 5.x Platinum personally)
    3. Burn the boot.iso file from the temp directory to a CD. It's okay if your CD software wants to close out the session, that CD is dead now anyway, even though we only put about 8MB on it.
    4. Make sure you navigate back to the /i586 directory so you'll have that url handy

[*]Stick the CD you just burned into the soon-to-be Linux box and boot it up

[*]When the first graphical interface comes up, just hit ENTER to do a clean install. Choose FTP and hit the TAB key to move to the OK choice and hit ENTER

NOTE: DO NOT choose NFS because your box will then look for the install files somewhere on your home or office network; unless you've previously installed them there, they don't exist! Also, you can't choose HTTP from this particular mirror. If you wish to use HTTP to download, find a mirror that offers that choice then come back to this guide when you've gotten to this step and chosen HTTP instead of FTP.

[*]In the next screen, enter the information, all of which is given above. FTP server is in step #1. Mandrake directory is in step #2--without the /images directory on the end though... ;)

[*]You're logging on anonymously, so don't put anything in login or password. Unless you're behind a proxy, don't put anything in those two lines either

[*]When ready, hit TAB to move to the OK button and hit ENTER.

[*]The next screen advises you to wait, that program is being loaded into memory if all of the above went as it should have. If you do not see this screen, reboot your box and follow the steps again until you do see it. The program downloads and we then move on...

[*]From here on out, the install is just like a CD install, just a little slower because of the network download instead of grabbing files directly from the CD as it normally would

If you haven't installed Linux at all yet and need help with the install from this point, aRTee has an excellent tutorial for installing v10-CE here. Just follow the tutorial--same install, just the Official version of the files instead of the CE version.

Good luck and enjoy :mdk: v10-Official!

Cheers!

Ci

Edit: moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman

• 2 weeks later...
/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/images

This is a bit wrong... the right path is /pub/linux/distributions/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/images

Just drop the/unix...

I'm installing as we speak, thanks for a great howto, Ciinien :thumbs: