Fedora

As a person who started with MDK and now is a convert to fedora. I would recomend it highly.

Fedora has up2date (automatic GUI updating service), ability to use the yum and apt-get reposotries as well.

Tech-wise, Id say fedora is more flexible and l33ter than MDK. Im not sure exactly what you mean by tech-wise though....

Edited by plati

tech was a bad choice, maybe features.. :unsure:

Last RH I tried was 6.5... A long time ago I know. I didn't like it then, cause it had less than MDK. And the things it did have seemed older than MDK.

I've been hoping that has changed with Fedora.. Not that I don't like MDK...

Hmmm, I don't know what I want.. I want something that is ... :wall:

Just like MDK... I'll get MDK 10 final. why switch.. :D

Even though you seem to have made your mind up....

Fedora is supposed to be more towards the bleeding edge than redhat ever was, for example FC2 should have Kernel 2.6.6 (at least it looks that way :D ), gnome 2.6, kde 3.2, selinux (although default turned off) and more.

Mandrake was traditionally i586 optimized redhat with KDE, but that doesn't apply these days.

Just a small side not, Fedora Core 2 Test 3 (Final RC) was released yesterday.

Anyway, Fedora is a great distro, though you are going to have to go out and find <freshrpms.net> packages to play video and mp3 audio (RH has started to run away from multimedia since the mp3 licencing fiasco). Otherwise it is a great distro.

question....

does fc1 rc3 not support reisser?? I ask cause I've just burnt a dvd under the impression it does, only to get to the partitions section to find it don't know anything about reisser - it offers me fat16, fat32, ext2, ext3, raid and lvm, but no bleeding reisser... and I insist on reisser...........

as an appendium to this q... anyone know when Reisser4 is going to be released??

Whan I had Fedora running (the first release) it would not partition reiserfs but it would recogmize and use it! Since I use Mandrake to set up my partitions for playing with distros, I never paid it a second thought. I like reiserfs.

I don't know when reiser 4 will be out, but I'll be on it when it is! :P

Actually, I installed fedora using ext3 thefirst time, and then I downloaded the next release after the initial offering and switched everything to reiserfs. It ran fine. You do need to edit the fstab entry correctly with "notail" if using reiserfs in /root.

does fc1 rc3 not support reisser

I sure hope you mean fc2 test 3??

At the beginning of the install process, when you get a command line - don't press enter. Type

linux reiserfs

instead, and you'll know have the option of ReiserFS when it comes to the partitioning stage. ReiserFS is not a supported FS by redhat, which is why you have to jump through this hoop to use it.