My keyboard died, RIP sweet keyboard

fuzzylizard

I can't believe it, my nice shiny (almost) new keyboard has died.

I have the Microsoft wireless desktop pro and up till yesterday morning it was working fine. I wake up yesterday and the keyboard refused to work. The first thing I did was to change the batteries, no big deal. Still couldn't get it to work. Fine, try another set of brand new batteries. Still nothing.

Maybe the channel that it is using has some interference on it. So I try to sync the keyboard to the receiver -- nothing. A this point I tried ripping the whole thing out and connecting it to another computer to see what would happen, still nothing.

As far as I can tell, the thing is dead. RIP my little keyboard. The worse part is that I really liked that keyboard. The next one that I buy will definitely have a cord. No more of this wireless stuff.

If it's new it should still be under warranty right?

Depends on how new I guess..

I use a wireless Intellimouse Explorer and havent had a problem with it, plus I have never heard of this kind of failure in a keyboard/mouse combo on any notable brand. Id be looking at the receiver for problems first as the possibility of the entire combo just dying isnt very high.

Wireless mice arent good for gaming anyway :D espescially for so-called "samurai twitch" gamers such as myself. Corded mice/kybrd combos have no lag, and no batteries, which is an added extra I believe.

The wireless desktop is about 4 months old (I got it for Christmas), so I am not sure if it is still under warranty or not. I got it from Best Buy, who do not support their products for more than 14 days so I can't take it back to them and since it is from microsoft, I am not sure how that would go either. Plus, I do not have the original packaging anymore.

I did a little googling and found a few reports of the same thing happening to people. (Had to go to google groups in order to find the posts)

I am not really sure that I would go with a wireless keyboard or mouse anymore. I have noticed the problems with games -- it does make them harder to play.

Anyone know of any links/tutorials that show how to mod a wireless keyboard to a wired keyboard?

Try this: (might not be exactly what your looking for, but it diagrams what the wires are in the ps/2 connector and has a bunch of other links)

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/s...er/keybinfo.htm

I was trying to find the name of the old style keyboard connector... which I still use on a backup box I have.

Edited by scoopy

scoopy said:
I was trying to find the name of the old style keyboard connector... which I still use on a backup box I have.

R U asking about the old 5pin DIN plugs that look like an overgrown ps2?

I think its just "keyboard port".

That would be a serial port.