Upgrade 9.2 -> 10CE broke network and graphics

Kylotan

Basically, I upgraded from a relatively fresh Mandrake 9.2 installation to the new 10 community edition, and in typical Mandrake fashion, things that worked before just fine stopped working.

The main one, was my graphics card. Mandrake has been unable to handle running X with my card using its own drivers since version 9.1, but works fine when I manage to get the Nvidia-provided ones installed. The problem here is that I obviously have a new kernel and the drivers need to download something from the nvidia site to proceed. This is frustrating but understandable. Switching to various geforce2 drivers (using drakconfig from the command line, if I remember what I did correctly) brings up an error and switching to the 'nv' driver blanks the screen and requires a hard reset to get the display back (ie. the problem I've had with other Mandrake versions).

This leads in to my second problem, which is that my integrated network interface stopped working in the process of this upgrade. Basically it can't bring up eth0, or something like that. Among other things, this means that the nvidia driver auto-updater can't access the nvidia site to access an updated file for the new kernel. So I can't install my nvidia drivers.

The hardware itself is fine; I'm using that network interface now in Win98 to post this message, and it was auto-detected and worked perfectly in Mandrake 9.0 and 9.2.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here or what files to post that would help you to help me troubleshoot this, so any pieces of advice or specific requests for information would be helpful.

Basically, I upgraded from a relatively fresh Mandrake 9.2 installation to the new 10 community edition,

:unsure: How?

...and why CE? Why not OE? Because that's the answer to your problem....hopefully....if not.....clean install OE.

Edited by bvc

...and why CE? Why not OE? Because that's the answer to your problem.

Not necessarily. My Toshiba 9100 worked flawlessly under 9.2. X still worked under 10.0 RC1, but broke with 10.0 CE and 10.0 OE. Builit in Wireless only works under 9.2.

I'm here posting using my Windoze partition, looking for answers as well.....

Regards,

Scott

Could you gentleman tell me where can I get the 10.0 CE or 10.0 OE.

Thank you

Mandrake-user

...and why CE? Why not OE? Because that's the answer to your problem....hopefully....if not.....clean install OE.

Hey bvc. I just upgraded the same way to 10.0 CE. Mine's running fine (actually, more than fine. I'm one of those people who have seen a nice preformance improvement over 9.2). Is there a benefit to going OE over CE if all the updates have been downloaded? I'm just curious.

Ok, I did a plain install (rather than upgrade) and came out with the same results, pretty much.

It claims that it fails to bring up eth0, but I can access the internet through it fine using ping, lynx, etc.

However I still can't install the Nvidia drivers as it claims it can't connect to download.nvidia.com or whichever site it is, in order to download a new file to work with the 2.6 kernel. It mentions that it might be able to compile one for me if I have the kernel headers installed, but I don't, and I don't know how to install them without being able to get into KDE and use the package manager there.

Can someone give me a hint on how to either get hold of that precompiled file to let the nvidia driver work on this version? Or which rpm I need to install in order to let it compile one for itself? If I can't fix this I'm pretty much Linux-less for the foreseeable future.

Bonjour.

I'm in need of the same info as Kylotan here, except I'm much more of a newbie than him...

Had things running sort of smoothly, just with unused areas either side of my screen using the closest fit I can, which is currently 1080x760 I think (I use 1280x800 in winXP). Or at least I did before I fiddled with something & now I'm booting into a terminal and when I 'init 5' I get a blank screen... I did need to boot into a terminal to install the nVidia driver I downloaded BUT get the same message about kernels & downloads not working as Kylotan...

Being fairly new to this I've been searching for info & found some helpful sites specifically regarding Linux on my laptop, unfortunately they seem to assume some knowledge that I don't currently possess...

Following some of these instructions I tried editing a file /etc/XF86 (i think) but although I could edit it as instructed it wouldn't let me save it (I was logged in as root).

Kylotan - I did notice that my boot-sequence fails on 'eth0' but all my ethernet based intenet type stuff works fine despite this...

I running my 1st Linux install of mdk10.0 ce (dual-bootingXP) on my Dell Inspiron 8500 with a nVidia GeForce4 4200Go 64Mb DDR video RAM 4xAGP, & according to Dell I have a 15.4" WXGA Ultrasharp Wide Aspect Screen.

If any of you old timers have some idiot proof advice it'd sure be appreciated.

Incidentally, thanks for this forum - had a post on a different topic & had some excellent response.

Chris.

Cheers dude, tho I've gotta admit I'm not the most patient person in the world & just finished wiping & re-installing...

Now that things seem to be working as they were I'll have another crack with the nVidia drivers - that link you left seems useful.

FIngers crossed...