Suspending a Thinkpad T20 with Mandrake 10

coverup, Yeah, I think my BIOS is apm compatible, since it worked with 9.2, and acpi (which I just tested) didn't.  I wonder why Mandrake 10 didn't install apm though...

When KDE restarts, I'm not prompted to log in again... it just starts the session completely over (with the KDE "starting services" splash screen).  Any open windows won't be there... it'll be a fresh new KDE session.  That said, I don't have any crash problems with suspend/resume.

Did you have the same problem with KDE in 9.2? I am still inclined to think that X (not KDE) crashes somewhere along the way during suspend/resume. What about Gnome or IceWM?

KDE should use the latest saved session profile when it starts. If it crashes and no windows are saved, then it will start from scratch.. You might try is to exit KDE with *save session*, this should save the profile (not the windows content though). Then restart KDE, the windows must popup. Now try suspend/resume to see if you get the windows back.

aRTee, I disabled apm and tried out your suggestion. "service sound start" didn't do anything, but I did a "service -R" and the sound worked... so now it's just a matter of figuring out which specific service needs restarting. Thanks for the good advice! Now, when you say "you can add the commands in one of the scripts," you wouldn't happen to know which script it would be, would you? I'm still fairly newbie-ish, so I could use all the help I can get! :)

coverup, I see what you're saying now, and I think you're right. It does look like maybe X is crashing... Whenever I do a suspend or resume (with apm enabled) I get weird stuff on the screen and it takes a long time... and when I resume, it looks like X is restarting itself, then launching KDE. I tried disabling xscreensaver, but I still get the same problem. What's weird is that *sometimes* KDE will wake up into my last session, giving me a "enter your password to resume" screen.

Also, apm doesn't seem to restart all of my services (such as postfix!). While apm worked great in 9.1 (no, I didn't have the same problem), I'm thinking the non-apm suspend and resume option is better... the machine wakes up right where I left off, and all I have to do is restart my sound.

Thanks for all the replies!

Marc...

Edited by marcnino

aRTee, as a followup, I found that this command worked for me:

service -f alsa

Restarting alsa brings back the sound. Now, is there a text file or script I can put this command in? I looked in /etc/sysconfig/suspend, and I have a line that says:

RESTART_SERVICES="postfix xntpd xinetd nfs gpm pcmcia irda alsa"

But alsa is not getting restarted. I'm thinking that my laptop is not paying attention to /etc/sysconfig/suspend... If I change any settings in that text file, nothing seems to happen.

Marc...

Whenever I do a suspend or resume (with apm enabled) I get weird stuff on the screen and it takes a long time...

Same here...

What's weird is that *sometimes* KDE will wake up into my last session, giving me a "enter your password to resume" screen.

That should be the default setting in your /etc/sysconfig/suspend. Change it to this:

# Set LOCK_XFREE to yes if you want to lock all your X displays at suspend
#LOCK_XFREE="yes"
LOCK_XFREE="no"