Suspending a Thinkpad T20 with Mandrake 10

Hey all,

I have an IBM Thinkpad T20 that I'm currently running Mandrake 10 on. Suspending (Fn-F4) the computer works fine... it goes to sleep, and wakes back up when I tell it to. However, when it wakes back up, the sound system doesn't work anymore.

In Mandrake 9.1, I remember there was an apmd text file that you could edit, and tell which services to revive or restart after a suspend. I can't find the same thing in Mandrake 10! Does anyone know how I can edit suspend properties?

Marc...

Thanks for the reply, LiquidZoo. I did a locate for apm, and there's nothing... I guess I'm using acpi as well (never really knew... Mandrake set it up automagically).

How does one edit acpi settings? I only see a couple of text files in /etc/acpi/events, and they don't really have much information to them.

Thanks,

Marc...

Honestly, I'm trying to do the same thing as you are. I haven't figured out which files I need to edit to get things working properly (my network won't come back up from a suspend). Look at the script /etc/pmsuspend2 in /usr/sbin and see if that helps you out any. That's the suspend script that acpi calls on Mandrake by default.

To tell which service you have (acpi or apm), open up MCC and go to Services (might be in Hardware, I can't remember atm). See whether apm/apmd or acpi/acpid are checked (it will be one set or the other, can't be both).

Not all drivers wake up properly from a sleep

On my old computer the USB subsystem wouldnt wake up leaving my mouse useless untill i plugged it in and out.

You could try finding out what driver you use for Sound, then you can unload it and reload it: rmmod snd-driver modprobe snd-driver

LiquidZoo, I looked in MCC, and it turns out I didn't have either apm or acpi installed! But yet the laptop will still suspend and resume... weird. I'm think I'll install apm and see what happens, as apm worked well for me in Mandrake 9.1.

coverup, Yes, etc/sysconfig/suspend was what I was looking for. It had a "restart sound" option that was set to "no"... I changed it to yes, and it still doens't work, but that's probably because I don't have apm or acpi installed.

iphitus, Thanks for the advice. Unloading and reloading works, but it seems to mess up my alsa-mixer settings.

The apm and acpi daemons are apmd and acpid. To see which of them is running, run as root

# service -s

This will show the status of all services configured. Look for the lines

apmd (pid XXXX) is running...
acpid is stopped

or similar. Also, list the content of /proc directory,

# ls /proc

It must contain apm or acpi subdirs.

LiquidZoo, I looked in MCC, and it turns out I didn't have either apm or acpi installed!  But yet the laptop will still suspend and resume... weird.  I'm think I'll install apm and see what happens, as apm worked well for me in Mandrake 9.1.

Could be something to do with your bios in that case. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a suspend function built into your (and probably many other) laptop on the hardware level.

coverup, I checked using "service -s" and I do have apm running (but that was only after I installed it). With apm installed, suspending is working... but, when I wake my machine back up, it restarts my KDE session completely! I can't find any way to stop this, so I might try out acpi and see what happens. To answer your question, my IBM T20 is a few years old (not sure how old exactly, got it second hand), and I'm running Mandy 10 Cooker with the 2.6 kernel.

LiquidZoo, I'll check my BIOS, but I think you may be right... it must be built in on a hardware level.

Marc...

I was asking about your laptop 'cause I suspected that the BIOS might be apm compatible (if I am not mistaken, apm manages power at a BOIS/hardware level). The fact that suspend works with apm sort of confirms my guess (why Mandrake did not install it for you, that's another question...)

Why does KDE restart... Do you mean, you're prompted to login again? On my laptop, suspend/resume crashes KDE sometimes. If I boot into KDE (init 5), then after crash, I am presented with a graphic login window. Is this what you get? In that case try booting into console (init 3), and starting KDE by typing startx. That won't prevent X from crashing but at least you will know what goes wrong... Also, fancy screensavers are aften blamed for crashing X on resume. It may be a good idea to disable the screensaver and also disable screen blanking in BIOS.

coverup, Yeah, I think my BIOS is apm compatible, since it worked with 9.2, and acpi (which I just tested) didn't. I wonder why Mandrake 10 didn't install apm though...

When KDE restarts, I'm not prompted to log in again... it just starts the session completely over (with the KDE "starting services" splash screen). Any open windows won't be there... it'll be a fresh new KDE session. That said, I don't have any crash problems with suspend/resume.

coverup, Yeah, I think my BIOS is apm compatible, since it worked with 9.2, and acpi (which I just tested) didn't. I wonder why Mandrake 10 didn't install apm though...

When KDE restarts, I'm not prompted to log in again... it just starts the session completely over (with the KDE "starting services" splash screen). Any open windows won't be there... it'll be a fresh new KDE session. That said, I don't have any crash problems with suspend/resume.

My brother has a TP21 (2647) and had the same problem.

What you will want to do is check the service sound.

Basically, he needed to start the proper ones after a suspend (you can add the commands in one of the scripts) - to find out which services we are talking about, do a

service -s

as root, before and after suspending; it may be that

service sound start

is all that you need.