Mandrake at work

aRTee

Ok, I have mentioned this before, but now it's real: I'm writing this from my work pc, on which I installed Mandrake 10.0 OE.

Got a 11GB hd from the guy from the pc support department, and just managed to set up the internet connection.

Lots of things still to do, but so far so good.

I will likely get intimate with wine and samba in the folllowing days/weeks...

Off to see if the graphics driver and X work well enough to do designwork...

awesome. good luck. My pc guy has allowed me to install Mandrake as well, but I only boot to it at lunch time and if I'm taking a break. (which means I probally want to get away from my pc for a while.) I have it updated and running smooth and can do my document (ie open office) work from it , which I have done just to show that you can. (duh) . If I could get my CAD software to run, then I'd use Mandrake all day!

At the office I'm running Mandrake 9.2 in VMWare when I need to do stuff that does not require Winbloze. As I of course don't get support, I don't use it for mail and other critical stuff though.

Used it once to create a demo where I used one Mandrake as webserver and another as client (needed to be able to show the SSL connection, Server side Signing and stuff). Should use it more often, but running Linux on VMWare is not really that stable.

Well one of our IT guys is rather pro open source. He is pushing (and I with him of course) to support Linux (at least as an alternative for those who want to). If he can convince management, I will certainly be the first to volunteer.

Ciao,

Sitor

Ok, I have mentioned this before, but now it's real: I'm writing this from my work pc, on which I installed Mandrake 10.0 OE.

Ah, so you got a promotion!

Congratulations!

:joker:

Edited by Darkelve

My workstation is still mdk 9.0 because i can't be bothered upgrading it ;)

The other linux workstations here are 9.2's and one 10CE.

The servers are still 9.0 too but they have good uptime, seems a shame to upgrade them.

I'm working on mandrake ONLY since last fall (9.1)

I put 9.2 and 10 on my computer, even cooker ! (cooker updates are easier with a 4000 ko/s connexion :)

i'm doing mostly paper work stuff and a little programming.

I got through some problems exchanging documents with others (on windows), so i eventually decided to use crossover office with M$ office 2000. Works really nice !

Grendal, don't you know that ProEngineer Wildfire runs natively under linux ?

In my little company our server is Mandrake 9.0 since .. I don't remember, well since ML9.0 is out.

It does ICS, firewall, DHCP server, NT domain name controller.

Else all the clients are Win 98 SE :( 8 boxs (how can we need so many PCs we are only 3 workers ! :blink: )

I tried Open Office without much success. well that was 6 month ago or so, our pcs are old and no time to set it up.

But more important, we put a Mandrake 9.2 Discovery in a machine we sold in march and now we installed Mandrake 10 CE in the machine we are about to deliver.

The machine we build run on DOS (Extended 32 bits). Before we installed Win98. Why Win98 or Linux if the machine is DOS ?? for only one reason: Network.

I know there is some network solution on DOS (MS Client) but it eats all the conventional memory and the DOS Extender and the program need some. We recently bought the Watt32 manual, looks nice but not so simple to implement, it need some work.

So when the machine is running it's running pure DOS, when it is stopped and the customer want to transfer some file in it, he had to type Win before, when he was in Win98, now, he reboot on Linux. To go back to milling mode, the customer had to do a Start->Restart on MS DOS mode before, now he reboot on DOS. Not very practical I admit.

By the way, at this occasion we switched to Free DOS. It Works perfectly even with our software that is quite special (high speed real time) :thumbs:

One funny thing is that when we installed ML10, LILO considered Free DOS as Windows :lol: Of course we changed the label in lilo.

At work i've got VMWare running a Win2K VM in Mandrake and I have my design software installed. :thumbs: So, technically I can stay in Mandrake 24/7 at work.

Unfortunately the performace is trash. :( I design with solids and the Win2K VM running in Mandrake slows to a crawl if I try to work in it. So, I am limited to booting into Mandrake during lunch to play. :(

The IT dept guys use Mandrake and all of the servers are some form of *nix or another. Mostly Mandrake. They were talking about converting the whole company because very few people are trapped in Windows. Basically, us designers are the only people using software that can not be replaced with a *nix equivalent. But, a Windows loving corporate mentality won't let it happen. They are even starting to lean towards forcing him to replace all the *nix servers with Windows servers. He said if that happens he'll hit the road. He's said many times over the years that there's no way in hell he would ever be responsible for a network running Windows servers.

Oh well. Maybe someday the right software will hit the market and I will be able to boot into Limux and stay there. :)

Ok, as those who followed my talks in the wine/emulation topic already know, I got LN running. Will try to get MSOffice running at some point, but for now, I can boot to linux at work and just stay there!!!

Like they say, sometimes you just gotta do it yourself, or it's not going to happen. The way I know things at my work function (or not), I don't think I'll have to boot back to win2k much; I don't use Office a lot anyway, and most of the time I use it only to read things that people send me - and for that I don't care about the formatting, so OpenOffice does the trick well enough.

Anyway, I'm just :D happy!

Ok, as those who followed my talks in the wine/emulation topic already know, I got LN running. Will try to get MSOffice running at some point, but for now, I can boot to linux at work and just stay there!!!

Like they say, sometimes you just gotta do it yourself, or it's not going to happen. The way I know things at my work function (or not), I don't think I'll have to boot back to win2k much; I don't use Office a lot anyway, and most of the time I use it only to read things that people send me - and for that I don't care about the formatting, so OpenOffice does the trick well enough.

Anyway, I'm just :D happy!

aRTee, I still have an evaluation copy of Codeweavers Crossover Office on my hard disk. If you want, I can send it to you.

You can also get the latest version here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/d.../download_trial

It is supposed to make what you are doing a painless process. Of course, you might just choose to do it the hard way. And that's your right! Just thought I would let you know.

Edited by Darkelve

But more important, we put a Mandrake 9.2 Discovery in a machine we sold in march and now we installed Mandrake 10 CE in the machine we are about to deliver.

DOS as Windows  :lol: Of course we changed the label in lilo.

I find what you are doing utterly irresponsible. Mandrake Community release is meant as a testing distribution for those that want to live on the bleeding edge such as myself and many of the folks in this forum. It is absolutely not what you give a customer.

Either give them a patched 9.2 or get a club membership and give them MDK 10 official.

I find what you are doing utterly irresponsible. Mandrake Community release is meant as a testing distribution for those that want to live on the bleeding edge such as myself and many of the folks in this forum. It is absolutely not what you give a customer.

Either give them a patched 9.2 or get a club membership and give them MDK 10 official.

I took 10.0 because it boots faster. I know the CE is not for production but you know the customer just boot on it and won't even log. It's just for the network. As long as Samba works, that's all we want.

Nonsense, if 10.0 CE works fine on that machine, then that's that. Like betas and rcs they have to find problems when installing on various hardware. If it installs fine and runs there is nothing against it. The included stuff is good, not all beta quality, not more than 10.0 OE. There really isn't that much of a difference, some draktools are more buggy, etcetc - but if roland did the install and config, why care?

To any windows user, there is precious little difference between 10.0 CE and OE, or even 10.0 CE and SUSE or FC or so...

What they will notice is the difference between 9.2 and 10.0 in boot times, shutdown times and responsiveness.

Darkelve, not necessary, thanks for the offer.

1) I also have it,

2) have to do stuff with plain wine in the end anyway, so I can say it costs nothing in licences,

3) did use it a bit, didn't do better than wine on LN, and found more info on running LN on plain wine on the web....

Nonsense, if 10.0 CE works fine on that machine, then that's that.

your probably right. In fact I was more worried with Free DOS as its the OS used when the machine is milling. But seems ok and DOS is used almost only to launch the proram.

By the way, the UC is a Shuttle Barebone XPC SB51G with a FB51 motherboard, the one I expected it was delivered with a Mandrake Discovery.

Absolutly no problem with 10.0 CE (well I tested only the 10/100 Lan, the AC97 audio, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 were all detected but I didn't tested them)

• 5 weeks later...

Just to come back to this topic...

A small update..

I know, I haven't posted much lately.

2 big reasons: 1) I have been busy at work with linux, no time to do much of anything else than my regular work and this 'extra-curricular' linux fiddling.

2) I have played so much with linux during the daytime that I am fed up with computers and linux when I get home, so I am not so much on my computer at home, which incidentally works miracles for my marriage... :P

Anyhow, I now have the following running at work:

My own pc, with Lotus Notes locally, (didn't manage to get all of MSOffice running, that part is on ice since I don't care much about it)

Other pc's through the Terminal Server (drakTermServ) - I had to jump through some hoops mainly because all bootfloppy+network-nfs-mount-projects assume you have full control over any dhcp or other server on your network. As a linux mole, I do not... :D

Apart from that it works quite well, and I also got some comments and help from Stew Benedict, the guy who wrote most of the scripts behind drakTermServ. (Talkabout good service in FLOSS - maybe not everywhere, but certainly better than any other service I ever got).

The start new session entry in the kde menu now starts a second session at 8 bit colour depth - which sometimes is really necessary since some software we have requires pseudocolour... took some figuring out, but there you go.

Modified the kdm logon screen, to not have the names and to show a neat clock, relevant things in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

KDM allows to do a remote logon, in which case people can use their pc as their trusted Xterminal, as they always have, which is neat.

Other than that, I have PCB (compiled from source) and octave (matlab equivalent - urpmi octave - it's in contrib) running on the linux machine(s), and all other design tools should run remote, on the HP-UX system... until we get the linux binaries installed....