compiling kernel vanilla

idud

Successfully upgrading kernel if the kernel is downloaded from Mdk cooker (SRPMS) but it always fail when the kernel is vanilla (from ftp.kernel.org). It looks like it doesn't recognizing non ext2 filesystem (I'm using reiserfs).

Anybody experinced with this? Please tell me how to make it recognizing my reiserfs and other supported journaling filesystem.

are you using the .config from the mdk kernel with the vanilla?

Yes, I did. I also try the old way (choose everything from scratch), and using the packaged config in the vanilla packages. But everything is not working.

If you are, what is hapening that makes you say it is not recognizing non ext2 filesystems?

OK as a newbie, I actually didn't know what is exactly happening. But in the failure in the reboot with the new vanilla kernel, it always said something like : "Kernel panic not ext2 filesystem on root partition, try to passing initrd= option to kernel".

I've once compiling the new kernel downloaded from Mdk cooker, and for some reason I reformat my root partition with other fs. After redumping the backup files, I rebooted the machine and the same error occures. But with live CD (knoppix), I successfully chroot to my HD's root partition, change the entry in /etc/fstab, running mkinitrd, and reinstalling lilo, and it works. The machine can boot normally with the corresponding filesystem module loaded.

I'm sure that there is some extra step that I have to take beside the

$ make menuconfig && make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && make install # this is for 2.4.x kernel

steps. I guess that some statement in the sources have to be added or changed, CMIIW.

make mrproper?

mkinitrd?

mkinitrd was part of your fix, but did ya do it for the compile? For a 2.4 I always

make menuconfig

make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install

notice the 'clean', though that shouldn't matter and I've been told it doesn't, however the instructions I found when I learned said to and I've never had a problem with it.

make mrproper?

Yes of course, before any compiltion I did that. Sometimes I also run make clean to make sure that everything is set back to default.

mkinitrd?

I guess that this step is provided in make install stage. But, OK I'll try it manually.

mkinitrd?

I guess that this step is provided in make install stage. But, OK I'll try it manually.

I do believe it is part of the make instal script.....forgot....I've never really used it....sorry.

I've always made reiserfs a module with no prob.

If you're using reiserfs make sure you've compiled it into the kernel, not as a module.

For what purpose? At the kernel from the cooker it's marked as a module ( :P I'm a little forgot about it). And other filesystems too (like jfs and xfs), they are compiled as a module, and the cooker kernel have no problem with that.

And I'm confused about these things. Mandrake 9.1 installed on an ext2 partition and it doesn't have initrd.img but it running very well. Firstly I think that because it has ext2 fs, but Debian 3.0 installed either in ext2 or reiserfs has no initrd.img too. OK, maybe it named in different manner, but initrd not mentioned in /etc/lilo.conf.

Please give me some... enlightenment.

About an hour ago I have a funny experience. In one of the accessed computer there are Mdk-9.1 with ext2 in / dual with debian 3.0 with reiserfs in /. Both of them don't have any initrd.img.

I compiled kernel 2.4.22 vanilla in Debian with configuration from 2.4.22-mdk (I downloaded it from 9.2). It doesn't work on Debian (where it was compiled) although I run mkinitrd and lilo several times with changing some mkinitrd tions (Debian 3.0 uses old version of mkinitrd). But when I install it on my Mdk-9.1, it works, Ok there are some alsa and supermount problem, but it works and can boot my machine.