AMD or Intel

neocytrix

What do you like better and why?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like better and why?

• AMD
    • Intel

For the high end: Intel does not really have 64 bit based cpu ready to go. AMD 64 and Linux is the way to go for sure.

For the low/middle end: AMD XP is very good value for the dollar...especially if you overclock a $75 XP 2500 to a XP 3200+ on a NVIDIA chipset motherboard.

It's price/performance in favor of AMD, clearly for laptops and desktops both, IMO. CPU performance in general has far outstripped the requirements of the vast majority of users and paying what amounts to a premium for the Big P logo makes no sense at all when there is no real performance enhancement for P to accompany the cost.

AMD out performs Intel for the same money. I also think their architecture is more profficient, which is why Intel chips must be at double the clock speed to match amd's performance. If it were not for the wintel attempted monopoly, Intel would alredy be marginal. But, there is much to be said for tech monopolistic practices! B)

Started with AMD back when Intel was going to put the security ID in their PIII chip :furious3:

never looked back...more of a political rather than performance issue.

AMD...AMD.....AMD.....AMD!

More bang for the buck, as Pain999 mentioned XP2500 you can get one for about $75 ($100 CDN)

and if you want overclock it or it performs great even if you don't want to overclock it.

I've used AMD's for years now and happily.

Ahead down the road or even now AMD Athlon64 is the one to get.

AMD all the way! Yes, I've heard good things about Centrino, but as I don't have a notebook, I can't really comment on that. I will say that for my money, AMD is the only way to fly. The problem is public ignorance, although not necessarily their fault. Intel has always had AMD beat in the advertising game. It's not that there is anything inherently wrong with their processors, its just why would you waste your money on a Pentium anything when you can get a faster Athlon for less. It's simple economics.

I've had a K6-2, AthlonTB, AthlonXP(mobile) and now an Athlon64 so you can probably guess that I'm on AMD's side.  My opinion is that AMD chips are better value for money, and out perform equally priced Intels.

that sums me up too.

except Centrino which I havnt got/tried.

AMD.

Yep mee too!! :D :D

Best value for money. Sound familiar?

It seems...... great minds really do think alike. :D :D

I found too many vendors were selling (pushing?) Intel. While AMD was better value!

It made me think, was Intel dumping their chips to try to drive AMD out?

So I started building myself AMD systems instead.

Edited by arthurking