Trouble mounting cdrom?

neocytrix

Hello everyone,

I have recently had problems mounting my cdrom, I go to file:/mnt/cdrom and it doesn't have anything there even though theres a cd in it. I try to create a new device from the desktop and I can't get it to mount. However, KsCD can stil play cd's that are in the cdrom.

-Neocytrix

well, KsCD can still play music cd's because they don't require mounting :)

what version of mandrake are you using? Since 10.0, there's been a change in mounting, they switched to magicdev instead of supermount, so to help better we sorta need to know what version you have installed :)

neocytrix........

are you by any chance allowing KSCD to run in the tray when not being used? if so, quit KSCD, then try accessing your cdrom. KSCD will lock the device it's set to default to, as long as it's running. if you wanna test that theory, with KSCD docked in the tray but not playing a CD, run this command in terminal as root...........

lsof -V /dev/(your cdrom device name)

that will show you what app is using that device. bet it's KSCD. if you get an error "command not found" when trying to run that, then you must first install lsof. either do (as root in terminal)........

urpmi lsof

or use MCC->install software->search->lsof.

it's on one of the MDK CD's.

Chris

• 5 weeks later...
Guest llorgge

I've got the same problem as neocytrix: I just switched from 9.2 to 10 and I can listen to audio cds but I can't access any data cds, either by command line or by using nautilus and if i use gnome I don't get the standard cd icon on the desktop. I've never used KSCD or any other program, so our problems are slightly different.

Since 10.0, there's been a change in mounting, they switched to magicdev instead of supermount, so to help better we sorta need to know what version you have installed

What exactly does that mean going from supermount to magicdev?

For me, it means that supermount was a supergoof which never worked. Magicdev, on the other hand, does actually work. I have been running a linux auto-mount system in Mandrake for the first time without problems. I'll see if I can duplicate your problems. They do sound the same, although knowing computers we may be dealing with seperate issues!

did you try the lsof command? might be worth a shot to see if something's using the device that you aren't aware of.

Chris

Guest llorgge

[1028][root root]$ lsof -V /dev/cdrom
lsof: no file use located: /dev/cdrom

Nothing seems to be claiming it... What does it mean if I can A. play audio cds, 2. can read data if it wants me to install something but D. can't read what's on a cd if i "ls /mnt/cdrom" for instance. It sounds highly selective, which makes believe that there's nothing majorly wrong, it's just not cooperating.

An audio cd and a data cd are totaly different animals and are not read in the same way. There are apps to read the tracks on an audio cd and print out the track names and times. Try using an audio app like Grip.

Linux in general can't read an audio cd. There is nothing wrong with your system. Its normal.

Guest llorgge
Try using an audio app like Grip.
I'm sorry. I meant data cds. I can play audio cds fine, it's just that I can't read what's on my data cds. I know they have info on them b/c i burned them in 9.2 in prep for migration to 10.0 OE (i checked them on my r/m's windoze and everything still there) but i can't access that data now that i've installed 10. That's what's confusing me b/c I urpmi'd something the other day, it asked that i insert a specific cd and it installed, so it can read data, i just can't see that data when i look for it in nautilus or "/mnt/cdrom" In case it's helpful, it doesn't give me any errors, it just shows nothing there.

Could you try something?

Please post the contents of your /etc/fstab, as well as your /etc/lilo.conf, if you have one.

Guest llorgge

/etc/fstab/

/dev/hda1 / reiserfs notail,noatime 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /usr reiserfs notail,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/etc/lilo.conf/

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot
# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/pc-dvorak-latin1.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
       label="linux"
       root=/dev/hda1
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
       vga=788
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
       label="linux-nonfb"
       root=/dev/hda1
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk
       label="263-7"
       root=/dev/hda1
       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img
       append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
       read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
       label="failsafe"
       root=/dev/hda1
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
       append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount"
       read-only

Does it matter that I use Grub instead of Lilo?