Best Motherboard / Chipset for Mandrake 10 final

cyclocommuter

Hello all, I just pre-ordered Mandrake Powerpack 10 (6 CD naked edition) from MandrakeStore.com. I will be building a dedicated PC for this distro.

I was initially thinking of using an nForce2 powered motherboard such as ASUS A7N8X but my experience with Mandrake 9.2 and an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe has not been positive at all. I have gotten intermittent lockups specially when the PC is being stessed (such as when I am compiling / building applications). Adding noapic nolapic parameters in the bootloader config file minimized but did not completely eliminate the problem.

Right now, I have no preferrence whether the CPU is INTEL or AMD. I just want a stable motherboard to run Mandrake 10 preferrably one which will run reliably without setting parameters, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO SOYO

I'm serious. Go to http://www.soyo.com and lok through their boards. They all seriously rock and fuly support linux. Then, once you've picked out a board, go to http://www.newegg.com to buy it cause their prices rock!

As for AMD/Intel, they make both, but AMD CPU's are WAY better. More stable, more cost effective.

don't hesitate to get the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I have it and I love it. I too had some quirks with 9.2, but 10.0 official is sooooo much better than 9.2. All the bugs I had are gone. My Ati 9800 pro works "straight out the box." No more sound issues.

I'm loving 10.0 so much, I'm ordering the powerpack DVD

How long have you been using Mandrake 10 on A7N8X Deluxe? Do you have the latest version (A7N8X E Deluxe) with the gigabit ethernet? Did you have to turn off APIC in BIOS or add bootloader options noapic nolapic to avoid lockups in Mandrake 10? I myself did not encounter lockups on my A7N8X Deluxe until I started stressing it by compiling / building Java apps while having other applications running.

I would have loved getting another A7N8X to install Powerpack 10 on but I think I will play safe this time and get an ASUS P4800P (Intel 865E). I have gone through many forums and it seems many people are still encountering lockup problems on nForce2 boards even with Mandrake 10. I can probably get the nForce2 stable by compiling the kernel with certain options specifically designed to workaround nForce2 apic / acpi problems but I don't want to spend too much time on this.

cyclo

I've been using 10.0 official for about a week. I've had my Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev. 1.04 for a while now, just got a RMA replacement though. I don't experience ANY lockups. I wonder where you heard that from. Most likely user error.

I don't mess with the APIC.

if you got lock ups during java programs compiling, that's probably because compiling is a memory hog. That's like you trying to run apps while b-unzipping.

You should read up on how to "nice" your programs. Basically you can controll how much resources a certain app may use. So you can have the compiling going on in the background and not lock up other apps.

if you got lock ups during java programs compiling, that's probably because compiling is a memory hog.  That's like you trying to run apps while b-unzipping. 

You should read up on how to "nice" your programs.  Basically you can controll how much resources a certain app may use.  So you can have the compiling going on in the background and not lock up other apps.

Running multiple apps should not lockup any harware... perhaps slow it down but not lock it up. Anyway, you might not be having it but I sure am, along with others...

Result of Google Search:

nForce2 Lockup Problems

Here is a more detailed/technical explanation of the problem:

nForce2 woes with Linux

cyclo

Edited by cyclocommuter

I was just gonna add a thread with the same question - but I noticed this thread already here.

I'm putting together a new machine for one of the new distros when they are released - probably suse 9.1, and I was wondering what mobo to get.

Anyway, I was looking at the Abit At7-Max2. It has the kt400 chipset.

I don't really know what specs to look at to know if linux will like it or not. When the reviews say "it comes with a CD with drivers on it..." - that isn't applicable for linux, right? I mean, with linux, everything will just work I guess... ?

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/moth...ews/1266_2.html

When the reviews say "it comes with a CD with drivers on it..." - that isn't applicable for linux, right?  I mean, with linux, everything will just work I guess... ?

hopefully :unsure:

no really, yes, you should have any problems. My Abit w/ ML-9.2 had to be booted with acpi=off noapic, but it ran fine. I have an older box that won't run win2k anymore (for_shame) becasue of, I d/k....bios kicking the bucket? I now have acpi turned off and ML010 on it :P ...because linux can do that....and win freaks out :cheeky:

Oh, and the Abit cd actually does have linux drivers on it....but you do not need them :headbang: ...well mine had drivers for linux on it, but I didn't need them.

Edited by bvc

A UK linux mag had an issue last WEEK with Mandrake 10 AND the 'ultimate linux machine'. There ultimate not mine btw....

They also tested it with 9.2AMD64.

Anyway they got everything working, its still IMHO nowhere near ultimate ?? single processor for a start and only a GIG of RAM but

I can look uop the MOBO they chose.

It looks like a good choice becuase then you know MDK 10 can work and no issues .....

if you got lock ups during java programs compiling, that's probably because compiling is a memory hog.  That's like you trying to run apps while b-unzipping. 

You should read up on how to "nice" your programs.  Basically you can controll how much resources a certain app may use.  So you can have the compiling going on in the background and not lock up other apps.

Running multiple apps should not lockup any harware... perhaps slow it down but not lock it up. Anyway, you might not be having it but I sure am, along with others...

Result of Google Search:

nForce2 Lockup Problems

Here is a more detailed/technical explanation of the problem:

nForce2 woes with Linux

cyclo

lock up hardware? his apps are locking up. I suggested that he "nice" his compiling app so that his other apps will get more cpu and memory usage and wont lock up.

to use the nice function, type "nice -n #" followed by the script. The '#' being any number from 0-19. The higher the number, the "nicer" it will be with other apps running. You can actually run nice with negative numbers, but it isn't recommended to go beyond -3.

With this nice function, as I type, I am ripping a DVD, editing a vob file, listening to an mp3, and surfing the web at the same time with no hiccups. I'd like to see windows do that.

All I have is a 1.47Ghz t-bred Athlon and 512MB of PC2700 RAM.

Edited by SurfahBoy808

I am ripping a DVD, editing a vob file, listening to an mp3, and surfing the web at the same time with no hiccups. I'd like to see windows do that.

pretty impressive. I've gotten in the habit, over the years, of just doing one thing - and one thing only - at a time on a windoze machine.

when I'm ripping a DVD, I don't even browse the web, check my email, or anything. Maybe it would work ok, but why push winblows to the edge...

I can't wait to start doing more of this stuff on linux !!!