Mandrake Community 10.0 Disc 1 hard locks system!

wiseman

Have to power off system right after selecting a language. Anyone else have this problem know a solution? I seem to be having nothing but problems with this version of linux when I can get gentoo up and running fine. Shouln't it be the other way around? heh

not really...i can get arch linux up and running fine, but sometimes mandrake gives me problems. it has the same problem that a certain -other- O/S has: the more you try to simplify a complex process, the more likely you are to break something.

there are a lot of things that could be causing this to happen. did you do an md5sum check on the ISO's after you downloaded them? did you try burning the media again?

you could try hitting ctrl-alt-f1 during the lookup to see if you can find anything on terminal 1 that may clue you into the problem. if not, i would also try a text install.

Guys, this kind of problem usually has to do with the kernel, not with distribution specific stuff.

For the installation, boot from the first cd, hit f1 and then type alt1, hit enter and try that.

Since kernel2.6 is very new, Mandrake is the only of the large distributors that has it so far, and it still has to get debugged for much hardware.

That alt1 is a 2.4 kernel.

Also, you can try booting with the following options:

noapic nolapic (that is a small L in the middle there) acpi=off

also after hitting f1 on the first screen of the installer...

Guys, this kind of problem usually has to do with the kernel, not with distribution specific stuff.

are you 100% sure of that? because if not, i wouldn't go ruling out the other possibilities mentioned. they are just as likely as yours.

but hey, what do i know...right?

Tyme, the kernel takes care of running your box. With the same kernel, it will crash in the same circumstances. The problem that can come up is when special patches are applied in one case and not in another.

So yes, there you will find differences in hardware support and stability in cases..

Instability is due to the kernel and drivers. With open source drivers, any instability (other than failing hardware) is a kernel / driver bug.

With closed source drivers, forget any help from FLOSS developers or kernel hackers, and rightly so. Without the code, how could they fix anything?

There are some things you can do that may help:

1) Turn plug and play and antivirus in the bios both off.

2) Disconnect any exotic peripherals like cameras, zip disks, memory keys etc.

3) Try burning the iso's to cdrw's. They seem to be more fault tolerant as well as being easier on your wallet.

Counterspy