Idea for Linux event in Harrisburg, PA Area

tyme

For those of you who don't know (which is probably no one by now) I attend school at Penn State - Harrisburg in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (USA).

Here's the deal:

I'd like to organize some sort of a Linux even in the area. Say, a Q&A session or an install fest. I'd like members of the board who are nearby and could attend to speak up, and help organize this, see if we can get a ball rolling on it. It would have to be a weekend thing, probably just on a Saturday. I'd only be capable of providing 1 or 2 people with sleeping arrangements if they had to stay over night.

If anyone is absolutely insane and wants to fly-in, the Harrisburg airport is right across the street (so close my bed shakes a little everytime a plane takes off - talk about annoying!). You could easily fly in and back out...but I'd have to question your sanity!

Post with ideas or to show interest. I'd try to hook us up with the gym on my campus, and possibly some wireless access if I can (we do have a wireless network, and you can access it through Linux: http://www.hbg.psu.edu/iit/wireless/). The Director of Instructional and Information Technologies would probably help us out, I know him pretty well.

Anyone?

Edited by tyme

It'd be a bit of a drive for me from my home in Delaware, but yea, sounds great.

I'd be willing to provide directions, and sleeping accomodations for you. If you don't mind a couch, that is.

another possibility, instead of the gym, would be the food court, as it has seats and tables and what not. they also plan to have wireless there, so maybe we could kick-start that (they've layed the groundwork, now they just need to had another NAP which should be easy).

sounds like a cool idea tyme. once you know if/when/where it's gonna happen, i'd more than likely attend, since H-Burg is only 50 miles away from me. if i can get the overheating problem on my piece of shite car under control, that is. keep me updated, either in this thread or in musb when ya see me there.

edit:

there will be beer, won't there? B)

Chris

Edited by chris z

well, the basic deal is i need to secure enough people for the whole thing to be worthwhile...until i know we have a decent amount, i won't even be considering talking to the school...but we'll know enough ahead of time to make travel arrangements and the like.

I can probably help out somehow... and I am only about 1 hour away.

I would be interesting in hearing from others about events they have attended. The closest thing I myself have went to is one of those computer shows at the Farm Show complex --- which might be a good idea to plan on holding your event on or around one of those.

it seems the only computer showed scheduled for the summer is in a week: http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/fscompl...sp?a=3&q=128684

i found no others in the calender of events for the farm show complex. heck, marketproshows.com doesn't even list the one listed there, and lists no others for harrisburg. According to their page, the shows is actually going to be in Allentown, not Harrisburg. I remember the last one I went to, the Farm Show Complex charged for parking, and the people running the Computer Show were -very- unhappy about it (they had no say in it). Maybe they've decided not to hold it there anymore?

Edited by tyme

So yeah, is that show in Harrisburg or Allentown... so confusing. Too soon either way to coordinate with your idea.

So then it looks like the greater Harrisburg area needs a really cool event for us "geeks".

Maybe someone here has ideas... even if they are not able to attend ???

Wow, Penn State - Harrisburg is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania??? Who knew? :P

I've always wanted a decent sized LUG (or group of LUGs) to do a public event like an installfest or Q&A event here, so that is my vote. You know, actually advertise it in the local newspaper as a 'not just for geeks' event.

But, unfortunately, Harrisburg is a 16hr drive and no money to fly. Dunno, though, maybe if the event is big enough, I could be convinced to fly up for the weekend...

On a side note. Looking up directions on mapblast, it says this:

Construction in Hattiesburg (August 4, 2003 - August 27, 2004)

There's no construction going on here on the highway, unless the first date is supposed to be 2004. Hmmmm....maybe the city council is getting kickbacks...lol.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire