No resolution or color depth seems to work

wiseman

I have a 17 inch HP pavillion monitor capable of up to 1600x1200 at 60 hz but even trying much lower resolution with 16 bit color depth results in a screen i cannot see.. the only install method i can choose and get away with is text, then once i configure X no res/color depth i pick will make it so X is usable.. on other flavors of linux ive been fine with 1024x800 @ 24/16 but for some reason everything i try is all fuzzy and unviewable. is there something i should pass to the kernel? maybe?

sounds more like a video card problem than a monitor problem. what vid card are you using? what drivers are you using? i'd check those things first. make sure the drivers match the vid card, or a close approximate to them. post your vid card & driver info for better troubleshooting please.

Chris

ahh good idea. my card is the 5700 ultra and i used the nvidia gf4 generic driver.. the bootsplash displays fine, but even with the VGA16 boot option anything after the bootsplash doesnt display any good, and at that point i think its using just a base vesa driver or some such, i didnt choose GF4 generic until the X config. with the vga16 option it does 640x480 at 16bit color, lol its sad that that displays wrong

i haven't ever tried using external Nvidea drivers yet. i have a GeForceTi4200 card, but it works fine with the stock Mandrake drivers. i don't get awesome 3D excelleration, but then again, i don't play games nor do many video intesive things on my computer that i'd have a need for it. but......... one of these days i'm gonna try the proper Nvidea drivers, if for nothing else than a learning experience. i know there's several threads on this board concerning installation of the drivers (just use the search function for "nvidea" or "nvidea drivers"), but you might also want to check out this in depth "how to" on the subject........

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2000...geforce-03.html

good luck.......

Chris

What version of mandrake are you using? Your card is relatively new and may not be in the hardware database. That's an FX series card you have and I would suggest trying the Nvidia GeForceFX generic driver. That's what I used for my FX 5200 before switching to the proprietary nvidia driver.