What do you use to burn audio CDs?

Andrewski

He He HE. Do I detect BVC having a little lend of some of you????

I have no troubles using XCDroast or K3B (the very latest version of XCDROAST is in Mand10 and I have the latest tar from K3Bs website) for ANY burning. I like the CLONE capability of K3B and use it when making copies of music or data CDs.

So far as music goes, if I want to convert wav files to MP3 or OGG, I use CDEX in win2000 then burn them to disk from within Mandrake10. Again I prefer CDEX to convert MP3 or OGG back to wav for then burning an Audio CD in Mandrake.

If I just want to rip a Cd then I find GRIP to be excellent. (CDEX when in Windows)

I never seem to have any slow functioning that some you talk about. Sure I have 1Gb of memory and a 1Gb Swap partition now, but before I had that I still never had any such problems of slowness.

I think you may be headed for the old "if it isn't difficult to use in Linux then it can't be any good " syndrome.

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn,

How have you gotten MP3 burning to work in XCDRoast? Could you explain your steps or point to a website that explains? I read somewhere that it works on a lot of backends, but I didn't know converting to WAV was one of them.

Thanks.

It doesn't. that is why I said I used CDEX to convert the MP3s to wav. then when that is done you select create Music CD in XCDROAST and it converts the wav to the proper Audio disk format. I can't off hand remember what it is called. Hang on, I just checked and is called cda.

The point is that Nero, K3B or Xcdroast must have its input in wav form first before they can create the Audio Cd. I do not think any of them can convert from MP3 or OGG back to wav except by using plugins of some sort and I have never used any.

I should also point out that ripping, although fairly effective, it is not a lossless exchange and when you convert back again then you are going to lose even more quality.

Since a lot of commercial disk playing devices can play MP3 and ordinary CDs (some can also additionally play OGG), and you can play just about any music format type on a computer there would not seem to be a real need or advantage to converting back to cda

But if you mean "burning mp3 to a cd in the MP3 format" itself then that is a different story altogether. All you do is burn a DATA cd because MP3 and OGG are a DATA (i.e. digital) form of music which wav and cda are NOT. Just because MP3 and OGG are music does not imply that you use the "create audio cd" modes in the burners. YOU MUST USE THE "create Data cd".