What do you use to burn audio CDs?

Andrewski

I've been using X-CD-Roast for my data needs and haven't burned an audio in quite some time. I just realised, when trying to do it, that X-CD-Roast doesn't support writing from MP3s. Which program do you all use to do that? I've used k3b in the past, but at present, I'm not looking for anything with KDE dependencies. I'd consider something with Gnome dependencies, but as I use XFCE, I'm most interested in featureful programs devoid of DE dependencies.

Thanks.

what's the diff? :unsure: Excuse me for being old but I can't imagine a diff :lol: It wasn't until kernel-2.6 that I even got my cdrw to do anything other than read. Because of this, I've always used iTunes, Nero, or EZcdCreator :unsure: So, I'm curious for an answer to your question as well.

bvc,

Rip is taking the audio from a CD and putting it on your computer. Usually, one will subsequently encode the large .wav files into mp3s, oggs, flacs, and probably others. I myself am even a bit behind the times in that I use mp3s. :)

Burning is the opposite process: taking the encoded audio and making an audio CD out of it. That is what I'm trying to do.

drake_guru,

Don't say it! I really don't want to install KDE just for a good program that they have! :P

Yeah, I guess by DE dependencies I meant nothing linked directly to Gnome or KDE. I'll take something that's GTK though... in fact, I'd prefer it.

Anyway, I'll check out nautilus-cd-burner. I also found this decent site:

http://sites.inka.de/~W1752/cdrecord/frontend.en.html

Edit: I'm going to try Gnome-Toaster. I'll try to remember to post how it goes. :thumbs:

Edited by Andrewski

I am a k3b user, so I am not too sure about x-cd roast, but did you install lame from PLF ? That may be the ticket to converting the mp3 to audio format... well I think it was for k3b anyway.

I am also trying to catch up on some audio recordings, but have found I can't record in the "CD plus" format. I tried "mixed mode," but those don't play in my car stereo, so I am forced to reboot and use nero :(

In the old days I used gcdmaster for audio cd's - that is before k3b was ready for general use.

On k3b you can just make a new audio project, and put mp3's or ogg files there (you do need to have the appropriate decoders installed) and it will convert them on the fly.

gcdmaster is nice, needs cdrdao as backend to write cd's so you need that too

urpmi gcdmaster cdrdao

and then you can write cd's without gaps between the tracks (this needs disk at once - dao, which cdrecord was/is not capable of), place index markers within the tracks etc....