Lag in DNS Queries / Mozilla Rendering

sampsaltakis

I've downloaded / burned / installed MDK 10 C. I've noticed that everything is working great (and faster), but when I go out to the internet, I've noticed a drastic lag in querying web sites, and mozilla seems to take alot longer in rendering every page.

I went out and downloaded FireFox, installed it, and seems to be a little better, but I still notice the difference.

Anyone else see this or am I just going Loco!! :screwy:

-SP

Edit: moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman

I've had the same problem myself. What I noticed is that there is no obvious DNS cache app in MDK10, which begs for the question: shouldn't there be a DNS cache somewhere to speed up the DNS searches?

I did notice that mozilla/firebird/etc always try to resolve the server, even when I browse pages on the same server. Something wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

I have that same problem with 10

I read somewhere that it has something to do with the default use of IP v6 packets by kernel 2.6.x

With this it tries to connect with these type of packets, but a lot of proxy/dns/firewalls of the worldwide ISP's aswell as alot of personal firewalls block these new types.

Then after 20 seconds of timeout MDK10 switches to the old IP v4...and then it connects...

So what you notice is correct....It takes ages to connect... even though pinging is fine :wall:

I'm still figuring out a way to switch of the default setting in the kernel....But haven't found one yet

sorry

Guest Ozar

I'm having the same problem with MD10, but it's intermittent.

Sometimes right after a fresh boot, the internet is really fast, but after the next boot, it seems like it takes up to about 30 seconds for DNS to be resolved. No problems with any of the previous versions of Mandrake, but I have had the same problem with the last two versions of Slackware. Go figure...???

Now, I'm trying to boot into MD using the 2.4.x kernel to see if the problem remains, but since it's intermittent, it's difficult to know for sure.

:wall:

Guest emerym

Hi All,

I too run MDK 10.0. The slowness was driving me up the wall. jjava script:emoticon(':wall:')

I made the changes to /etc/modprobe.conf, having not spotted the move away from modules.conf before. Thanks all!. It still ran slow. I'd tried to install a local bind and got a waring that it conflicted with tmdns. So I took it out with 'rpm -e tmdns-0.1-12mdk' and it's working a LOT FASTER. . java script:emoticon(':D')

Group : System/Servers Source RPM: tmdns-0.1-12mdk.src.rpm

Size : 126894 License: GPL

Packager : Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne@mandrakesoft.com>

URL : http://zeroconf.sourceforge.net/

Summary : A Multicast DNS Responder for Linux

Description : Tmdns is tiny/trivial Multicast DNS Responder for Linux. It should

allow you to take part in a zeroconf environment.

Mark java script:emoticon(':joker:')

Guest steve02a

I don't mean to disrupt this thread - but how did you guys get DNS working in the first place? I have a DNS server listed in my /etc/resolv.conf file - but anytime I try to suft to a site, I get can't resolve hostname or server times out. any idea's on that one?

Guest aunger1001

how do you connect to the internet? If you use DSL or cable and it is directly attached to you pc, then you would most likley use dhcp to connect and the DNS is automatically setup. If you are static, then your provider should provide DNS servers. As a side note, this goes for dialup also.

• 2 weeks later...