10.0 Install errors

DeanGreen

1st Installed 10.0 a month ago and worked great untila fewdays ago when it started acting sluggish & choked on or didn't open programs so reinstalled but forgot to add user & tme zone and reinstalled again but stll not letting me access .Ice, whatever that is?

What should I do? Thank you! :-)

Users and timezone information can be adjusted at any time in MCC. ( Or by the command line!) Reinstalling linux is rarely needed; it's not like windex!! What if a hardware problem is the root cause? Reinstalling will not fix it!

Please provide some details about your system, and list what precisely is happening when you install. Also include your partition information.

I don't know what happened to dean, so I'll reply for him. Hopefully you can help better than me Ix. (He's a friend of mine)

Anyway, he was having increasing problems with stbility and boot time and speed on his system. it was to the pointthat it was taking like 4 or 5 minute to fully boot into kde, so I suggested to his that he just re-install without formating /home since that is usualy what I do if i can't figure out a problem.

so he re-installled without formatting /home, but when prompted to add a user, he didn't add any, and when he got to the resulsts screan where he should have chosen a time zone and set up all of his configurations, he just ignored it all and clicked next.

When he rebooted, he wasn't able to log in of course, so he re-installed a second time and went ahead and added users and what not on his second go.

The system boots ad he can now log in as himself, but permissions are screwed up from one end of /home to the other and kde won't start for his user acount because of the permissions and there was also an error he told me about invloving a diretory called .lce but I'm not sure. He was supposed to post it here but didn't.

He can log in as root just fine and even launch kde in root mode (I know that's risky) and all of that works.

So what shoud he do? I can help him but I'm still learning and he is VERY green. Help appreciated.

Oh, and he has 5 partitions:

/

/usr

/home

swap

/mnt/win (used to be a win dual boot, it's just empty right now.

I have done all of that stuff myself, so no one should feel bad when it happens. As far as the user is concerned, if he sets up the same user name and password, it is all there. I know that there is a way to change permissions, but I always use the identical information to keep my /home stuff.

As far as all the work, linux is more work than windex, without a doubt. But, that's because it is secure, and a real os!! We should never have gotten use to not logging in, not mounting stuff, and not being able to run executables without proper permissions. It's all there in windex too, except that the 12 year old mongrel in Arizona who just wrote this niffty virus has permission to use my computer just like I do!! How we became convinced by ms that universal permissions is better is beyond me. B)

Anyway, identical user information including user name and password will open up /home.

It's probable that when he added users the second time that the new users were assigned different user ids (numbers) than they originally had. In Linux (or any Unix system) it's your user id number that is your real id, not the name associated with the number. You can change the name (say, by directly editing the /etc/passwd file) and as long as the associated number stays the same, everything will work fine with the new name.

The quick fix for his problem is to run, as root, the command

chown -R dean.dean /home/dean

assuming that is his user name and original home directory.

When re-installing or especially when installing a new release I rename my home directory to <myname>.save just before starting the install. Then I can cleanly intialize my new home directory with whatever new config files the new release uses. Finally, I then fix the ownership of the <myname>.save directory and copy/move all of the sub-directories any configuration files that I want to keep. It isn't essential to do it this way, but avoids messed up Gnome/KDE setups and gives me a convenient backup should anything go wrong.

Thank you guys so much. This looks very promissing. I'm not sure why he gave up on the users board so fast, but i'll call him and tell him to get his but to the mub and read what you guys had to say. Very usefull.

Just a side note.

Hello Ixthusdan, nice to meet another MUO user face to face. Cheers to you and your lovely lady/wife. Looks like we might start something new here and gradually move away from the "anonymous" visual contact with oneanother even though we may wish to keep our names that way.

Cheers to you both and to ALL. John

Just  a side note.

Hello Ixthusdan, nice to meet another MUO user face to face.  Cheers to you and your lovely lady/wife.    Looks like we might start something new here and gradually move away from the "anonymous"  visual contact with oneanother even though we may wish to keep our names that way.

Cheers to you both and to ALL.            John

*off topic*

Yes, the avatars are fun, but it is nice to see real faces. I think it makes for better focus. :thumbs:

Oh, she is my wife, and she is quite a lady! :D

Edited by Ixthusdan

Just  a side note.

Hello Ixthusdan, nice to meet another MUO user face to face.  Cheers to you and your lovely lady/wife.    Looks like we might start something new here and gradually move away from the "anonymous"  visual contact with oneanother even though we may wish to keep our names that way.

Cheers to you both and to ALL.            John

*off topic*

Yes, the avatars are fun, but it is nice to see real faces. I think it makes for better focus. :thumbs:

Oh, she is my wife, and she is quite a lady! :D

I agree with you both: the avs are great for "hobby" forums such as gaming and such but for a serious informational forum such as this, it is nice to see a pic of the person behind the advice, if you follow me. Call me old-fashioned, I just prefer seeing the person offering advice that has a system-wide impact on my network... :unsure:

Cheers!

Ci