56K PCI modem

nbk123789

Short answer: No.

medium anser: Probably not, but look up "Winmodems for linux" or Linmodems. If you want to invest a LOT of time and energy, it may be possible to get some functionality out of your modem, though probably not.

Long Answer: A number of years ago, most companies stopped building modems, and started building "winModems". A winmodem is realy nothing more than a PCI-RJ11 adapter (RJ11 is what phones use). All of the functions of the modem are controlled by software. Problem is, this software is writen almost exclusively for windows. There are a few companies which have been kind enough to write linux drivers, but they are often VERY complicated to install, and some are crippled to half speed.

Real modems are now called "Hardware controlled modems" and you will need one of htese if you want to use your modem under linux. I personaly reccomend the external variety the connect via a serial cable, though any USB model that also uses it's own hardware controller "should" work with only a litle extra effort. There are also internal PCI modems that are hardware controlled, and if you have a realy old mother board, most ISA modems were hardware controlled.

The modem I use for daily internet access and faxing is the Creative Labs Modem Blaster external serial modem. I would reccomend it to anyone with a serial port. if you don't have any legacy ports onyour computer (as in you only have USB) I'm sure someone else here can reccomend a good USB modem for you.