updating system caused PCMCIA to fail

jdion81

The thing is at the first post I had a fresh install of mdk 10 ce from a ftp ISO and just now I had a 9.2 install (pcmcia worked but wireless didnt) then I updated 9.2 to 10 OE. When I updated to 10 pcmcia everything including wireless worked for about 3 days. Then I posted the contents of the files that you asked, and then tried the 2.4 kernel and it worked. So I think it is not pcmcia not working (it may still have a bug). It may be a config file or a file lock thats in place that shouldnt be.

There is a lock file: /var/lock/subsys/pcmcia. If that file exists when init runs /etc/rc.d/rc, pcmcia intialization will be skipped --- rc assumes that it is already up and running -- but the lock file should be removed when the system is shutdown. /etc/init.d/pcmcia will remove the file when invoked with the "stop" argument. The existence of a lock file a boot time would explain why pcmcia wasn't initialized one time, but the problem should have been fixed after the next shutdown.

Did you confirm that all the kernel modules were loaded and working when you ran the 2.6 kernel? The files you posted or noted as not existing all point to yenta_socket not intializing correctly and/or failing to register any sockets with the ds module (the one cardmgr talks to).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cchen2003

By the time you read this, you probably have had this problem solved. Anyway, since I solved my similar problem after reading this thread, I will input what I did below:

The problem after the update of the kernel seems to be related to the fact that the yenta_socket module is not loaded by the pcmcia service. A brief check at the file under /etc/rc.d/init.d shows that if pcmcia service sees 'pcmcia' in /proc/devices, then it will not load the yenta_socket module specified by the PCIC parameter in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia (the reason why the pcmcia is seen before the pcmcia service is run is not very clear to me.) If that's the case, the message "no socket found" will be seen in /var/log/messages.

Following were the steps I used to recover my wireless connection:

1. Insert the yenta_socket module manually

2. Restart the pcmcia service

To make the wireless work even after reboot, I added the following line to /etc/modprobe.preload:

echo "yenta_socket" >>/etc/modprobe.preload.

With this change, my wireless connection was immediately available after reboot.

Chad

Guest Stephen_Hersey

I am also having this problem with the official Mandrake 10.0 Download edition freshly installed (not an upgrade) on a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT, which BTW works fine with Mandrake 9.1. Same results with two different-type PCMCIA LAN cards.

pcic_probe lists a Toshiba ToPIC97 with 2 sockets.

At boot-up, I get a failure of the pcnet_cs (for example) driver stating that the eth0 device appears to be absent, preceded by a message "cardmgr[751]: no sockets found!" Executing "cardmgr -v" after logging in and doing "su root" brings the same response.

Executing "modprobe -i yenta_socket" followed by "cardmgr -v" brings a response "cardmgr: watching 2 sockets", and the network interface comes up. Looks very much like the race-condition hypothesis is correct on this and possibly other Toshibas. Let me know what additional info you need, and I'll happily provide it, test fixes, do diagnostic runs, etc...

Guest bvanbogaert

I've met similar problem after a fresh installation of Mandrake 10.0.

Symptoms:

- Just after the installation, the 2 sockets are properly detected.

- I've installed my old ELSA wireless pcmcia card using the "network->new connection" icon of "Configure your computer"

- The system has installed the following packages: dhcp_common, dhcp_client, libiw..., wireless_tool, tmdns, zcip

- After reboot the cardmgr claimes: cardmgr[...]: no sockets found!"

- I'me very disappointed :-(

After reading this stream, I've discover that the yenta_socket module was not loaded. Then the solution was obvious. The working solution I've applied as root user:

/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop

modprobe yenta_socket

/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

Hope it will help somebody.

For my side, after this, I enjoy my wonderful Mandrake 10.0 laptop.

The working solution I've applied as root user:

/etc/init.d/pcmcia stop

modprobe yenta_socket

/etc/init.d/pcmcia start

That does seem easier than rebooting 3 or 4 times. I am still having an issue with mine. It seems to mainly happen only after I have connected to an Ad-Hoc network. I use an infrastructure network at work and I dont have the problem here. I dunno. :puter:

• 2 months later...
Guest oiper

Just adding my similar experience to the list. I've been :wall::wall::wall: over this. I ended up nuking the system in a fit to fix it. :wall: The crazy things we do late at night... :screwy:

Just adding my similar experience to the list. I've been  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  over this. I ended up nuking the system in a fit to fix it.  :wall: The crazy things we do late at night...  :screwy:

I almost forgot about this thread. I have recently been running the latest cooker and I have had no problems with the wireless card working. I have even gained a nice little icon that sits next to my clock that tells me when I am connected to a network (with either eth0 (10/100 card) or eth1 (wireless card))

I like cooker. I think there are going to be quite a few bug fixes in 10.1