BitTorrent

ac_dispatcher

OK I saw the post by hms2k:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=13287

I thought Id try out Linspire (Lindows) again. When I tried to download it I got an error that I did not have permission. I had downloaded Lindows for free in the past and was already registerd on Lindows. but I was able to download the .torrent file.

So I said it had been a while since I used BitTorrent lets give it a go. -

Logged on my firewall:

Opened port 6881

foward port 6881 to the Laptop

Reload firewall

Start up BitTorrent

wait

wait

wait

Went upstairs to watch some tv. 1 hour later checked up on by torrent. 37mb downloaded 46mb uploaded. 18kb download 28kb upload speeds. I thought what the heck is going on here? My only thought was a lot of people leaching off me. I was Pi$$ed off :angry:

Decided to continue and went to bed. Woke up 67% complete (9hrs later). aroung 400mb downloaded 370mb uploaded. Is this normal ? Maybe they should make it so that you cant download via BitTorrent unless you upload (even a little). Too many people seem to leach.

In all I decided that I had not given back to the Linux community in a while. So my download will finish around 0900am but Ill let it continue to upload until I get home from work (0600pm). B)

My DSL has no up/download limit - Or at least my provider has not warned me yet :D Ive been known to download around 10 gigs a week (every beta version out there) with no problem. I guess that is one good thigh DSL has over cable. If I had cable I would have gotton a nice letter to reduce my downloading :jester:

OK its been a while since I used it. all I remember was Texstar's tutorial on it with port 6881. I just found some more info on it:

http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#ports

Prior to version 3.2, BitTorrent by default uses ports in the range of 6881-6889. As of 3.2 and later, the range has been extended to 6881-6999. (These are all  TCP ports, BitTorrent does not use UDP.) The client starts with the lowest port in the range and sequentially tries higher ports until it can find one to which it  can bind. This means that the first client you open will bind to 6881, the next to 6882, etc. Therefore, you only really need to open as many ports as simultaneous BitTorrent clients you would ever have open. For most people it's sufficient to open 6881-6889.

So I guess it pays to RTFM :P

Well maybe read the current manual or tutorial on it B)

Edit - Forgot to use Spell Check

Edited by ac_dispatcher

At noon (my local time) the status was checked by my wife (I'm at work)

Download complete: 525mb downloaded 575mb uploaded and still upping at 28kb /sec.

I got pi$$ed when I was uploading faster than downloading. In the end it was due to my ignorance. :oops:

But it feels good to somewhat pay it back with my bandwith. Ill let it upload for another 6 hours or so B)

• 3 weeks later...