ATI or nVIDIA

sampsaltakis

What's the fun to easy?? :D

I go nvidia all the way, with their proprietary drivers. They install well (compared to before the packaged them with an installer!) and nvidia rocks!

I agree with Ixthusdan, go with Nvidia. I have the GF2-MX400 and the GF4-MX440, both are great cards. Both have worked like a dream in Linux but then again I'm not running any games or anything that requires a highend video card. Right now I'm eyeing a GF-FX5600 256MB for my AMD64 system that I'll be building soon, even though I don't need the video horsepower nonetheless I would love to try it out.

Edited by Desire

The new GF-FX6800 Ultra with the new NV40 core is coming out in a month or two. The benchmarks show it to be over twice as fast as the GF-FX5600 and the graphics quality is as good as the ATI cards. It may take a little longer for the support to show up in the Linux drivers though. Their other cards should drop in price though.

Check out:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2004...0414/index.html

Glitz.

Id say NVIDIA. Not only have all their chips been very robust, their support for linux is pretty much unfaltered. Ive never had problems with NVIDIA chips, and they have some very nice chipsets coming as Glitz pointed out.

Well, it really depends on what you want to do. These consumer cards are one thing. If you are into gaming, fine. If you are into 3D CGI, then you will need a Workstation card and those can be very expensive. In this area, Nvidia seems to be the make of choice for the Studios.

The new GF-FX6800 Ultra with the new NV40 core is coming out in a month or two.  The benchmarks show it to be over twice as fast as the GF-FX5600 and the graphics quality is as good as the ATI cards.  It may take a little longer for the support to show up in the Linux drivers though.  Their other cards should drop in price though.

Check out:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/2004...0414/index.html

Glitz.

But I also read they consumed a LOT of power... it's somewhere in the same review I think.

ATI just needs to be more proactive with their drivers. ATI is good stuff, but Nvidia is responding to a growing Linux market. ATI is not as visionary as Nvidia.