What is MDK 10-CE ???

Guest anon

OK, I have to admit it, I'm confused :woops:

What the hell is going on with MDK-10? I believed that 10-CE would be folllowed by 10-final.....therefore 10-CE would be no more. But, MDK say that you should not upgrade to 10-final from 10-CE, furthermore you should not install apps from 10-CE onto 10-final. WTF?????

Not only that, but 10-CE is not dead, its still being developed,.....WTF????? so by next week 10-CE will be probably more advanced than 10-final. So if you want the latest features you should use 10-CE?? or cooker??

I have read MDK statement twice, and am still confused. As someone already sugested, "there making this all up as they go along"

What will 10-CE become now that its not 10-final, 10.5-CE? ? What a bloody mess :angry: But maybe you know better?

Remember that the Mandrakelinux 10.0 Community is a still evolving and not officially supported distribution on Mandrakeexpert.

Moreover, we recommend not to install Community packages on an Official version. First this will void your support contract, and second this is not aimed to be.

This is putting my "Cooker Edition" comment into a whole new light.

I admit that I too am confused about this whole thing. On one particular mirror, it appears that the /mandrakelinux/devel/community tree is pointing to either the /devel/10.0 tree, or the /official/10.0 tree. There doesn't appear to be much difference at this time, but cooker is way different.

Here's an example of what I just checked:

/mandrakelinux/devel/community:

kdebase-3.2-79mdk.i586.rpm

/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0:

/mandrakelinux/official/10.0:

/mandrakelinux/devel/cooker:

kdebase-3.2.1-7mdk.i586.rpm

Maybe all 3 of these will change in the future, with it being so close to the release of OE. Who knows.

/me confused too !

And seeing peeps such as us (that are at least a bit familiar with Mandrake now) are all confused on the simple things, like installing an app --- do we dare imagine what it is going to be like for newbie windows converts ?

Currently running the version 10 Community Edition (with all updates before the mirror mess) I decided to dive head first into all of this tonight and went ahead and added the new 10 Official sources and began updating.

This Official Edition was just released today, and I already installed 20 megs of updates (mostly kde) and also a new kernel in addition.

So far, things are still running like they were.

(* note I do not have gnome installed... so I can't speak for it or its updates)

:juggle:

Not too clear, but the way I get it:

Mdk10.0 CE came out instead of the regular final, but with less rc's since it would get polish and more fixes later anyway.

Now they made 10.0 OE as a snapshot of CE.

For those who will be screeming for gnome 2.6 and other hot packages as soon as those come out, they decided to keep preparing that software as it becomes available. However, that will be mostly untested, no guarantee, the users are the testers.

For OE, they will only bring out security updates and bugfixes, as they did before, so there is little risk in running a full update, it will be more solid.

Then there is cooker, the real testing grounds, the preparation for 10.1.

Seems good to me, at least 10.0CE will get gnome 2.6; Mandrake realised that they wouldn't be able to do without one cutting edge system that is not as unstable as cooker...

The way I see it, CE will be more cutting edge than previous finals, remember how clubmembers had to put in votes before, and would still often not get what they wanted?

They will get their fix with CE now.

Then those who want real robustness can use OE. Not cutting edge, but more tested, and much less packages to update - after all: mostly/only security and bugfixes, no new versions as they are released.

The true cutting edge junkie will naturally run cooker, as far as it will run.

Note: All deduced from the same press release and announcements that you also read, no extra info from cookerlist or other sources..

[edit]

Note how they say that for OE you shouldn't use CE packages, that may break things. This will be true at some point, in time CE will divert from OE.

I find this not too bad, for any taste they have a match. My wife will run OE. I will run CE.

Any non-fiddler should run OE, and not complain about not running the latest greatest.

And for the moment, I think there is so little difference that you might try CE packages on OE - but be warned, if it breaks you get to keep both pieces... :P

Edited by aRTee

I have those updates but..the other updates of CE, where are they?

I don't know, I am confused...

but I would try this:

/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/devel/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/

so then if,

CE packages on OE = asking for trouble

does,

OE packages on CE = playing it safe ???

(I don't want to live on the "cutting edge" NO more, I got tricked into it in the first place)

:joker:

Another thing, you can buy the 10-CE edition on CD, but you won't get any support because its "not an officially supported distribution"

I don't remember reading that when they officially released it.

I wonder how many people will not read their latest statement, and upgrade from 10-CE to final?

And whats going to happen in a few months time? will there be three versions of MDK available.....MDK-10-CE MDK-10-FINAL and then a MDK10-5 beta release? and if that happends will the beta release be behind or ahead of CE? :wall:

Is it not similar to the Redhat / Fedora example .

Fedora is leading edge with a quick update cycle , Redhat is more stable with a much

longer shelf life.

Mandrake 10 CE ( the CE bit being the clue) is the leading edge product. The Finals will be the more stable editions with a possible longer shelf life.

Thus positioning Mandrake better to make inroads into the Enterprise market.

Its a business model that has a lot of merits

Edited by KiwiNZ

Well everything is not so complicated !

To me the new structure is very much like the debian way of working:

1- For the lastest of the latest apps, but sometimes broken and stability issues, use COOKER(debian unstable)

2- Recent apps, but may be some problems from time to time , use COMMUNITY (debian testing)

3- Maximum stability, and official support, but with not so new apps, use OFFICIAL (debian stable)

Now make your choice between the 3 propositions !

I will choose Official for a server and my desktop at work (i need stability the most), and community for my home desktop (more up to date, bugs not a problem).

Is it not similar  to the Redhat / Fedora example .

Fedora is  leading edge with a quick update cycle , Redhat is more stable with a much 

longer shelf life.

Mandrake 10 CE ( the CE bit being the clue) is the leading edge product. The Finals will be the more stable editions with a possible longer shelf life.

Thus positioning Mandrake better  to make inroads  into the Enterprise market.

Its a business model that has a lot of merits

Yea, that sounds simple and a good idea. But its not what MDK originally said, or led people to believe.

They said that 10-CE would be released, followed by 10-official . They never mentioned that 10-CE would continue to develop after 10-final.

And whats on cooker? is it apps for both CE and final? surely not, as MDK say you should not mix the two versions.

Maybe there will be two versions of cooker now :D :D

I agree that the Mandrake statement is not really very clear (again), but I understood it the same way as Godflesh did (although I did not relate it to the Debian system as I did not know it yet :P ).

I have some reflections with anon's remarks though:

Yea, that sounds simple and a good idea. But its not what MDK originally said, or led people to believe.

They said that 10-CE would be released, followed by 10-official . They never mentioned that 10-CE would continue to develop after 10-final.

It is correct that they did not mention up front that 10 CE would remain in existance, but they do what they said. There was only CE for some time, now OE has followed, just as they said it would. ON TOP OF THAT there will still be CE evolving.

Not that I want to pick on you in particular anon, but I get a little bit bored of people here on the board always turning anything that MDKsoft does into something negative. Try to look at it from the positive side.

Being a big fan of Monty Python: Always look on the bright side of life!

Ciao,

Sitor

Anon, here you go talking about Final again, what is that?

Also, debian testing gets no security updates, whereas CE will get them.

BTW you can buy 10.0CE on cd, and just point urpmi to OE packages, update, then you are perfectly OE, and get support. As if anyone who found his way here needs any other support...

OE packages on CE may work, but if they depend on more stuff only in OE there's trouble again....

I don't agree with Godflesh:

1) to help with development, use cooker

2) for the latest (not stablest, but final) packages, use CE

3) for the most polished and stablest, use OE - this one gets full support since the other versions may just not work as well.

No comparison with debian will work, it overlaps only partially with unstable, testing and stable.

Note: even though they never said that CE would continue, they never said it would die either, and too many just always keep asking for cutting edge packages. Really, only cooker with gnome 2.6, that would be horrible for some!

There is only one development version: Cooker. CE is not development, it is just cutting edge, but final packages there. OE is a snapshot from CE at one specific moment, and will get fully supported for the enterprise and users who demand stability at the cost of being less up to date.