cdrom problems after install

pcorajr

after i was done installing mandrake 10.0 ce i tried to play a audio cd and wile the player showed as playing i could not hear any sound. also i cant go in and see the content of the cd's

when i try to unount the device i get a cant unmount device error never had this kind of problem before so im prety much lost here is a copy of fstab.

/dev/hdb2 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb3 /mnt/win_c2 vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb1 swap swap defaults 0 0

thanks in advace

Well, you can't unmount it due to supermount (I thought it was something else...)

You should be able to just eject the cd-rom, no unmounting necessary.

As for the cd-audio...what program are you trying to use? I had a similar problem with xmms a couple of days ago and it just turned out that I had to switch the input to something having to do with digital input and that fixed it.

im using kscd atm and it will see the tracks but no sound at all for some reason.

i am downloading some other media player atm if i put a data cd ( mandrake install ) i can see the files for some reason when i do a audio cd nothing shows up when i look inot the cdrom folder

update:

downloaded a few players and still no luck they show as playing but now sound

my soundcard is a creative lab sound blaster live and im running

root@localhost lucresia]# lspcidrake -v| fgrep AUDIO

snd-emu10k1 : Creative Labs|SB Live! (audio) [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1102 device:0002 subv:1102 subd:8022)

[root@localhost lucresia]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa

alsa 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off

[root@localhost lucresia]# /sbin/chkconfig --list sound

sound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

i am running init 3 could it be that? ic that on alsa lvl 3 = off if so how can i go about turning on?

Edited by pcorajr

i have tried 5 diff cd so far =( i posted some troubleshooting info on top maybe is the fact that im runing init 3 ? and on alsa is set to off ?

installing xmms 1.2.9 atm will see if that works thanks

update:

no luck yet dunno were else to look to resolve this problem anybody else had problems with SB live cards before ? cant get any music cd to play =(

Edited by pcorajr

Your lspcidrake shows that you are configured for an ALSA driver (snd-emu10k1) but your chkconfig shows that ALSA is not running. To start ALSA use MDK Control Center tool: MCC->System->Services. Check the "On boot" checkbox and press the start button. That should fix your problem. (Don't forget to run volume control to check for muted inputs and outputs).

Why don't you try uninstalling ALSA, rebooting and then reinstall ALSA.

Do it via the Mandrake Control Centre (MCC) . I have found sometimes that a program can be installed corruptly but not give any error messages and doing this simple procedure has often fixed the problem. I had an example of this with XMMS ( not the sound wrapper problem that has been covered in other posts) and it now works Aok.

This is just an example.

Also use MCC and go into Services and check that ALSA has been ticked to initiate at startup and then click on start. This is another spot that is often overlooked.

Hope this helos.

You can just start alsa by doing:

service alsa start

as root, then see if it works.

Personally, I have never seen a program installed in the wrong way then upon reinstall get things right. Some things may not be configured correctly, and that might get set up right the second time around, so AussieJohn's method may be the easiest at this point. But my point is, if you would know what/how/where you could fix things without reinstalling....

BTW whatabout just going into MCC, then choosing the OSS driver in the hardware section/configuration for your card, then choosing the alsa driver again...? This may be the fastest way to reinitialise your settings/config....

ok going to work on uninstalling and reinstalling alsa will uninstall alsalib and config files also so i have a fresh start btw when i was looking at the alsa packs that i had installed it showed diff version of lib so gonna try to get the same version of lib. thanks very much for you advice

just got done installing alsa and lib also installed some other stuff for alsa trying to figure out now how to bring up the mixer so i can adjust volume

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

i get this error when i use configure sound system on kde. also alsa shows as running on the service under mcc but still no cd audio i try to use alsa mixer and i get the following error:

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

one question does it matter hat my soundblaste live is a dell card? it cam with my dell system and is has some extra stuff like a cord that run from the card to the fron pannel so the headphone jack is in front maybe the drivers im running are not compatible with this type of SB live card?

Edited by pcorajr

thank you everybody for the help but it seems like the sound card dont want to work =( tried everything you guys recomended and still it wont work plus i installed new alsa drivers/module drivers =( wierd thing is that on knoopiz the cd works fine =( dunno why it's doing this.