MDK 10 Official is out

retcynm

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

journeys1,

The mirrors did not actually go down. Everything has been rearranged and things are not where they used to be. Such as, what used to be:

/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/
/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/

is now:

/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/
/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS/

Plus there may not be anything to upgrade yet... only some kde stuff, mplayer, and a slightly updated kernel and sources, as far as I can see.

AAAAAAAAAARG ! my 30 days Club subscription I got with the last 9.2 dicovery my company bought last month went out yesterday and I didn't downloaded 10.0 OE !! :wall:

Too bad for me .... but too bad for you also as I'll not be able to let my torrent open so you'll not enjoy my 2Mb/512Kb connection :P

Btw biitorrent always worked well for me: around 150KB.

Sarissi, I play with Maya on windows but plan on guetting the linux one soon :P

Maya 5 Complete or Maya 5 Unlimited??

Former: Only Jealous!

Latter: Extremely Jealous!!!!!!!!

It would take me 15 months to be able to buy Maya 5 Complete, provided I did not buy anything for computer, or batteries for my flashlights in that time.

If you are using Maya 5 Personal Learning Edition, I downloaded that, but need to get a supported Workstation card and Win2K to install and run it.

:wall:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...opic=13027&st=0

That is where I saw that, BVC. However, this topic is more current and I thought to ask a simple and quick question. Anything further on that I believe should be that forum.

:wall:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...opic=13027&st=0

That is where I saw that, BVC. However, this topic is more current and I thought to ask a simple and quick question. Anything further on that I believe should be that forum.

That's not why I posted the link. If you can't figure it out send me a pm and I'll explain, so that we do not continue to be OT. Thanks.

Hey Scoopy, can you still get up-dates for 9.2, cause I, sure cannot!

When I was running 10ce the mirrors downloaded 10.1(cooker) onto my system and broke it! As in programs no longer worked! It was running fine until i decided to download up-dates for it! This is not flaming, okay just wondering why the mirrors are down? You say that they are still up? Fine , why I'm I, still getting error message as they are still broken?

And yes it might be abit early for any up-dates, maybe give it a week! To then have a great day! And I'm not going to re-load 9.2 to find out. I'm perfect happy with 10 official

Yes, journeys1, I can get the updates for 9.2 @ ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr...dates/9.2/RPMS/

But seeing I am now running 10 CE, I have urpmi configured for this:

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distr...ates/10.0/RPMS/

Once I realized 10 CE wasn't getting any more updates and about to go final (right before the screw up with gnome 2.6 and also the mix up with the ftp tree) I stop from updating anything from the /dev or /cooker branches.

This is from Mandrake's download page:

Service availability (April 9th, 2004): due to a current re-organization of all our FTP tree, you may experience some issues in finding what you're looking for. Please accept our apologies. The whole service should be 100% back to normal operations on April 12th, 2004.

So its been 5 days since they should be back up... so if you have reconfigured your sources properly, they should be working by now. Maybe the mirror your using is still possibly toast for some reason ? I would double check the URLs and see if you can browse anything on that server

A note to everyone:

the default settings in Mandrake 10OE are all wrong for the mirrors. You need to look at the mirrors and find the correct path, enter that, and you'll be fine. The trees are good, just not correct to all the Mandrake pre-set choices!

Just added my newfound Mandrake 10.0 Official Edition experience to the frontpage of my website, thought I might share it with you too in this topic...

I installed Mandrake 10.0 Official Edition on 3 machines over the weekend, on 1 machine there was an issue with the built-in Adaptec SCSI controller, AHA2940 type, which needs driver AIC7xxx - and which doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel that Mandrake included.

The workaround was to boot with the alt1 kernel on install cd1 (install cd2 would not work either...). Once I figured that out, all was fine. The two other machines, an IBM Thinkpad and my wifes Duron 1GHz called neuchatel, installed like a breeze and all worked out of the box. Oh, I did a network install on my wifes machine, with my machine as an ftp server.

Sweet, just followed the instructions on the html info file on installation cd1 to make a bootable cdrom, and followed instructions once I booted that one. So on 3 systems, Mandrake 10.0 Official Edition needed no further hardware configuration, all hardware was detected and configured (audio, video, network adapters, mice, etc) properly out of the box, minus the SCSI controller problem. Very good score if you ask me.

2 things:

1) there is a workaround to still use the aic7xxx with kernel 2.6.3-7mdk (or others), I just didn't have the time nor feel the need to use it; the 2.4.25 kernel works fine

2) on that same machine, the available harddisk space was very limited, managed to do a complete install on less than 850MB, no KDE but icewm and some other lightweight wm's.

It will be used as a print and file server.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my first post here. :woot:

I was using mdk9.2 and didn't want to do an upgrade being as I heard some people had problems so I decided I couldn't wait for the ISOs and downloaded 1.7 gigs of the /RPMS/ directory off one of the official mdk10 mirrors along with other directories I needed to do a hd install. I booted from boot.iso (after formatting my mdk9.2 partition and moving the downloaded files to another partition) and chose hdinstall and "/" and I finished my first hdinstall! Yay! Oh, did I mention that I downloaded all the files at 56k? That's right, it took me around two weeks to d/l but I wasn't downloading 24 hour days/nights. Heh. Is that dedication or what?

I love Mandrake 10!