One more help, please...

william

One year has gone since I've started using linux on a laptop and nowadays with a desktop I'm still facing and fighting in order to make my external (USB) Extigy Sound Blaster to work in a stable way, actually up till now I'm not able to understand quite well the hardware issues in linux, as a mature newbie, I think I have to be a little more focused on it, in order to avoid this sort of thread that we can see at least hundreds of them. (no sound, sound problem, aumix not working, sndconfig doesn't detect my..., bla bla bla...).

When I said that my external soudcard doesn't work in a stable way, I meant that with some applications it works while with some others apps it doesn't, so I shoud have something working wrongly here.

I've already tried exaudio and alsa, but with the same sort of result and not being confident of what I was doing, so that's the reason for posting this thread.

In order to give you a better idea of my problem, here go some information and outputs:

1 ) Applications that the sound seems to work properly:(at least I have sound with some good quality, despite of maybe not being optimizing all the soundcard's resources)

a ) Mplayer -  using alsa plugin 
b ) XMMS - using alsa plugin 
c ) Tux Racer - maybe using alsa - don't know how to check that

2 ) Applications that the sound doesn't work at all:

a ) Totem  
b ) xine - open /dev/dsp/: no such file or directory 
c ) UT2004 - my new acquisition - open /dev/dsp/: no such file or directory 
d ) kino - open /dev/dsp/: no such file or directory

3 ) System outputs:

3.1) Part of proc/pci output. Notice that despite of disabling my on board soundcard in the BIOS it's still being recognised

a ) [root@poseidon william]# cat /proc/pci 
Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 1). 
IRQ 17. 
I/O at 0x1400 [0x14ff]. 
I/O at 0x1800 [0x183f]. 
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x20000400 [0x200005ff]. 
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x20000600 [0x200006ff]. 
Bus  1, device   0, function  0: 
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev 161). 
IRQ 18. 
Master Capable.  Latency=248.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1. 
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf1000000 [0xf1ffffff]. 
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd8000000 [0xdfffffff].

3.2) Output from modules.conf

b)  [root@poseidon william]# cat /etc/modules.conf 
probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage 
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd 
alias agpgart intel-agp 
alias eth0 eepro100 
above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss 
alias sound-slot-0 audio

3.3) Output from alsa modules:

c) [root@poseidon william]# lsmod | grep snd 
snd-usb-audio          64672  1  
snd-rawmidi            23616  1 snd-usb-audio 
snd-seq-device          8008  1 snd-rawmidi 
snd-pcm                93156  1 snd-usb-audio 
snd-page-alloc         11972  1 snd-pcm 
snd-timer              24484  1 snd-pcm 
snd                    52484  7 snd-usb-audio,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device,snd-pcm,snd-timer 
soundcore               9248  2 usb-midi,snd 
usbcore                99132  10 usb-midi,snd-usb-audio,usbmouse,hid,usb-storage,usblp,ehci-hcd,uhci-hcd

3.4) Output from grep alsa

Here you can see that I don't have alsa drivers installed (at least rpms), I don't have in harddrake the option to pick the snd-usb-audio driver?!?!?

d) [root@poseidon william]# rpm -qa | grep alsa 
alsa-utils-1.0.2-2mdk 
libalsa2-1.0.2-3mdk 
libalsa2-devel-1.0.2-3mdk 
libalsa-oss0-1.0.2-3mdk 
xmms-alsa-1.2.9-4mdk 
libalsa-data-1.0.2-3mdk

As additional infomation, when I run sndconfig it detects my external sound card and warns me that it's not supported by linux, but anyway the sound comes out from xmms, mplayer and tux.

USB view detects the extigy and so does harddrake. With alsa service running or not on boot it doesn't affect the functionality of the softwares I mentioned above (both of them are using alsa plugin).

Well, sorry for being too long in my post and I hope to receive some inputs from you. Actually, this in my second post on this issue, the first one was one year ago, when I was able to make it to work, but without understanding anything I was doing here (I still don't understand).

See you friends.

Maybe the programs that cannot access /dev/dsp are trying to use OSS?

I think /dev/dsp is usually a link to /dev/snd/dsp and in the same dir you find mixer and other stuff - all OSS devices; with alsa you get devices in /dev/sound/ iirc...

Do a

ls -l /dev/s*nd

My Goodness!!!! aRTee!!!!! It has worked, I was not confident it'd work!!

Thanks and congratulations man, I've been limiting my linux experience (with some quality) for almost one year!!!

Thanks again. Now I can play UT2004 and use KINO with sound, that's great.