Can't install 40gb HDD

neilinoz

I don't care for being called a Saracen. My name is my Spiritual Name and not of Earth. Please be careful about twisting names, as some can be insulted by such action.

Now, on topic: I think you will have to flash your bios, since the last BIOS version on that mobo is F3.

Here is the link to your motherboard. Click on BIOS and see for yourself.

Many Apple logies people, it started with King Arthur and got worse.

BTW AJ - I live in Newcastle, NSW. (hence neil in oz)

My M/b is actually a GA-6BXC but you're right I think the problem is still the same.

So it look like this is my course of action. I'll download DR DOS and save the Bios onto the same Floppy, then boot tio the A: drive to DOS and then expose myself illegally... er, I mean "Flash"... and then hope my motherboard doesn't die a horrible death.

I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks for your help everyone, it's actually quite hard for a 35 year old hardware newbie to learn new tricks. I hope one day to even make my own web page or even learn some programming! See what Linux can do by stretching people's minds(apart from, in my case, making really bad jokes)?

Yeah Yeah! blame me!

I should be the most insulted here.

" The Britons! Who are the Britons " :D

I am YOUR king. :cheesy:

And I laughed at the AJ (Aussie Toilet) remark, but you have to be a Yankee to get it right?

Anyhow I'll have you know that I'm a 38 year old hardware newbie.

The most important skill you need to successful hardware tinkering; an ability to decipher the Taiwanese translations in the instructions.

good luck.

Well that Bios thing was a whole lotta nothing - ie a failure.

Perhaps I didn't give enough information. All I have on my small hard drive is Linux Mandrake 9.1. I don't have any DOS at all. It is my assumption that .exe files can ONLY BE EXECUTED in Dos or Windows.

My Flash Bios file is an .exe file, and so was the DR DOS file i also downloaded. Feeling rather confused and hopeless I put the floppy in and rebooted, and was told the disk was not a system disk.

So - can .exe files (including the Bios flash) be run and executed from a Linux boot disk? If not, how can I get a working copy of a DOS boot disk so I can boot up in DOS and then flash the Bios?

Arg... i'm getting really frustrated at this process.

Check out my other problem in my new topic - I can't install a P3 processor even though the Motherboard info says I can.

: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::screwy:

If you flash from a floppy, it should be self-sufficient. If it is not, then you need a flash program that is. I have flashed my bios with out any windex virus present!

If you are using .exe then yes, you need a boot floppy that carries the dos .sys file, as well as the .bin file for the flash.

If you flash from a floppy, it should be self-sufficient. If it is not, then you need a flash program that is. I have flashed my bios with out any windex virus present!

If you are using .exe then yes, you need a boot floppy that carries the dos .sys file, as well as the .bin file for the flash.

which the caldera site has!

Anyway,

the pont is you might flash the bios then still find its a limitation of the MOBO so you need to check this before paying out for a BIOS upg.

And

Perhaps before you consider this a 2nd hand but newer mobo might be had for a similar price ?

All I want to do is download the new bios onto a floppy disk and flash it after rebooting.

Why is this so difficult under Linux? Surely there is a simpler way.

BTW - I purchased the m/b a few weeks ago

My apologies neilinoz.

I shouldn't have assumed that you have access to a Win computer.

I'm pretty sure that the DrDOS 'exe' is only a self extracting zip file that formats the floppy for you then writes its files to floppy.

I'm trying to check, to be sure, but from memory if you can unzip ??(gunzip, bunzip, or try ARK)?? the files from DrDOS to the floppy you should end up with 4 files.

AUTOEXEC.BAT

COMMAND.COM

IBMIO.COM

IBMDOS.COM

If you have trouble doing this I could email you the floppy contents, they are only 100kb or so.

Have a quick look @ GA-6BXC_BIOSes for your latest bios.

It says you'll be OK with a 40G drive.

call back if you have trouble creating the DrDOS floppy.

cheers.

Edited by arthurking