OpenOffice 1.0

neilinoz

I've been using OpenOffice 1.0 for over 12 months now (will upgrade when Mdk 10.0 comes out properly) and I have found it getting slower and slower and slower to start as time goes by. It was always a slow starter, but now it takes well over 1 minute to begin once I click the icon.

What can I do?

The biggest improvement is going to OO 1.1+

It really is a memory hog, in the style of windows programs!

Sorry but its just that way in 1.0!

As to why its got slower ... perhaps you changed your memory or swap space ? or you have other progs already running that are using memory and forcing it to use swap ?

Check this out with a memory utility like the KDE sys monitor (if your using KDE) or similar.

From a console

cat /proc/meminfo

shows your memory ...

try this before and after and see if you can work out what is using memory.

I found out that OO.o will start slowly if there is a new network printer setup.

The best solution for that is to delete the ~/.openoffice directory. The initial startup will be kinda slow since it has to rebuild the directory, but subsequent startups (even after reboots) will be quite fast after that.

A reason why Oo will get slower and slower to start is that it checks the pspfontcache file before starting, and this file gets bigger and bigger.

Here is a trick i found giving some improvement:

- delete ~/.openoffice/user/psprint/pspfontcache (your oo directory may have a different name)

- start OpenOffice and then quit (just to make it restore a clean pspfontcache file)

- make the pspfontcache read only to prevent it to grow : chmod 444 pspfontcache

Anyway im running mdk 9.1 and i recently upgraded to Ooo 1.1.1 : it's much much faster!

Jib2

Your solution worked! Thanks so much. It took about 15 seconds to start OpenOffice. The pspfontcache file was about 1.5mb and now, after erasing it and starting Open Office again, was about 11kb.

Will wait until Mdk 10.0 (individual) comes out for 1.1.1

Thanks again!

A reason why Oo will get slower and slower to start is that it checks the pspfontcache file before starting, and this file gets bigger and bigger.

Here is a trick i found giving some improvement:

- delete ~/.openoffice/user/psprint/pspfontcache    (your oo directory may have a different name)

- start OpenOffice and then quit  (just to make it restore a clean pspfontcache file)

- make the pspfontcache read only to prevent it to grow : chmod 444 pspfontcache

Anyway im running mdk 9.1 and i recently upgraded to Ooo 1.1.1 : it's much much faster!

Surely this counts as a STICKY or HOT-TIP :D