My very first poll

brkville42NY

Is Dell a better buy or is Gateway or Apple better  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is Dell a better buy or is Gateway or Apple better

• Dell
    • Gateway
    • Apple

Calling it poppycock doesn't mean you are correct Iphitus.

I have many times been asked by people to help them with problems such as trying to install new OSs on their machines or install upgrade components and the only ones that have ever been bas+++ds to work on were the likes of Dell and Hewlett Packard.

It is common knowledge that when you think you have a normal SoundBlaster card it is in fact TOTALLY unusable under Linux. I wonder why that is ????. and who are among the biggest users of Winmodems.

Totally impractical to do this today??? with profit margins for hardware constantly shrinking. Dream on.

JB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second that 100% AussieJohn.

My **** list is Compaq/HP ... they were both as bad then the likes of Dell.

In fact the real prob is compaq / hp think they can build computers but they cant ... they mess with the bios etc. and half the time dont realise the consequences.

Ive had EXACTLY your experience and when you get on the HP/Compaq site you find thousands of people in the same mess.

Secondly they try and stop you buying generic video/sound cards .

I once had a compaq wehere the plate at the end was a fuunny shape to stop you replacing the crap graphics card with a cheap generic one.

Mostly its pure sabotage, its impractical but they do it anyway.

becuase they plan to sell you expensive upgrades.

Oh, don't forget that during a long time Dell used PSU cables with different pinning on the mobo connector; and the Compaq I have as a server doesn't allow 2 ide devices on the second channel.

AussieJohn is completely right, DIY is very often the best way to make sure you end up a happy user instead of a p1ssed @ff maintainer...