Police in your computer ?

Technonoid

has anyone thought to put this on slashdot?

if this gets slashdot'd then news.google.com would also pick up the story, increasing peoples awareness, and perhaps the number of signatures.

i'd do it, but last time i did it, it didnt work.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't nix's include the code? Because it would be a US only version? Why not a kernel patch/us versions of apps? Debian has non-us...do you use them? Sure it would suck, sure it would be a hassle, and it most likely won't fly.....yet. If it did......it wouldn't be hard to fix and abide by. The community would be stupid not to submit IF this is passed and implemented. Because one of the best things, if not the best thing, that has ever happened to linux is it's adoption by goverments including the NSA. Homeland may eventually turn. If nix's don't cooperate, they'll be dumped, though the nsa is sure to continue it's use.

Edited by bvc

I'm just going to plant a black box gps deal under my skin so they can own me fully.

:P

Of course i did have two surgerys were they could have slipped one in with out me knowing? :o

uh oh, now i got to scan my head. :unsure:

on the subject of DRM, there were some articles sometime ago on linux and DRM. http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/developer...,2133872,00.htm

if linux does do DRM then the policeware would not stop the use of linux.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how this would affect a person who designed their own computer and wrote their own operating system for personal use?

Glitz.

Outlawed LINUX OS Outright (Disney had this one added) We can guess where they got it from. (hint: Microsoft)

This doesn't make any sense, considering Disney uses Linux to make their movies.....

SLAP! :lol:

Anyway, this is really bad. Politicians being bought by companies, the bloody ignorant politicians wouldnt give a flying f*** what OS/Hardware/Software etc. everyone has to use bcoz all they know is "windows and intel pentium". So its easy for them to sell their souls

Why wouldn't nix's include the code? Because it would be a US only version? Why not a kernel patch/us versions of apps? Debian has non-us...do you use them? Sure it would suck, sure it would be a hassle, and it most likely won't fly.....yet. If it did......it wouldn't be hard to fix and abide by. The community would be stupid not to submit IF this is passed and implemented. Because one of the best things, if not the best thing, that has ever happened to linux is it's adoption by goverments including the NSA. Homeland may eventually turn. If nix's don't cooperate, they'll be dumped, though the nsa is sure to continue it's use.

Im not sure....

I thought about this before over things like 802.11G source code or encryption - drivers etc....

the problem is twofold....

Debian is non-profit and hence not a target for the US FAA/NSA/etc.. becuase mainly this sort of thing is dealt with financially in America. However a distro like Mandrake can't follow the same rules becuase it can be hit financially.

Also its leading back to the idea of having two linux's, the US version and the ROTW version. (which isnt good)

I think your right that this might be the only way around it BUT I think the effects will be more than just inconvenience.

Its becoming incremental in Linux from dvdcss etc. whereby more and more stuff is illegal in the US and nowhere else or at least not in the same way.

I honestly beleive the only way (long term) for technology in general is that the US will have to become more international in its approach.

Instead of penalising companies who trade in America they will have to become just another consumer nation.

China and India are the upcoming consumers, America is till richer but China and India have massive numbers of people and are becoming technically way superiror to America and Europe in IT.

For the last few years they have held back and pretended not to be superior when they have been because it has suited them but as their economies (especially India) take off they will want people to know its made in China or india becuase then you know its better quality than the stufdf made in Europe or America.

When I was a kid Made in Japan was a joke. Then 'if it wasn't for the nips, being so good at building ships' (sorry if nips isn't PC anymore that the lyrics) now Sony/Playstation/ etc. etc. are viewed as good quality. In fact Japanese engines ... electronics .... etc. etc. are the best! Best nuclear reactors ?? Japan... Best laser quality glass - Japan...

Of course their steel was always the best ....

So before you laugh ... it happened with Japan.

The whole American consumer attitide is based on one thing... companies cannot afford NOT to do business with the US. Well i think this is changing. the US is becoming financially unimportant compared to India and China. Today no-one makes a electronic product without paying for it to be FAA registered etc.

Tomorrow it will be the IAA (making that up) but you get the point.

Today it is worth making a US model but in the future perhaps not. While the rest of the world uses 220v it would seem crazy to make a special electronic product just for a few hundred million americans when they represent only 5% of the world market. I guess this will (or has) started on budget products, just like Japan did - but eventually it will end up with the luxury products.

Look at Japanese engines now. Some of the best ones are not available in the US becuase Honda can't be bothered to jump through hoops for a small consumer base. Or look at Toyota - the Landcruiser is respected as the king of offroad everywhere except America becuase America has so many SUV's and homegrown 4x4's that its not worth Toyota's time.

Gowatar The reason some engines don't make it to america is because we have higher EPA standards.

Its easier for an American engine to be sent to the rest of the world than the rest of the worlds engines to be reworked for here.

The other reason is racing and the culture associated with each type. There is not a whole lot of flat track or open road racing in the states but then again there isn't much nitro/alcohol drag racing in europe. There are small companies in America making 600+ cubic inch V8 engines. Not many of those in europe.

As for the other stuff in your post. Its a nice opinion.

As for a product having to comply with any nations laws or rules. I'm sorry but thats the way it is. If America makes something for export we have to abide by each importing nations rules and standards. Seriously a new .50$ transformer is killing the electronics industry? Thats all it takes to make something American/Europian compatable.

Don't forget, Canada and Mexico work off the same power grid as America(USA) So actually the whole continent is the same consumer base.

As for all this flap over drm or whatever the latest security measures being looked at is. They can only be implimented on a volunteer basis. Linux is a world wide product and can't be forced to do anything. I also will always have the option of downloading from someplace other than the US like I do now. If its hardware security your worried about, don't be. The rest of the world will ensure I have a steady supply of security free chips. Since you don't order anything electronic from America then you should not worry either.

Its all good. Have a nice day. Please stop worrying so much. America is not out to get you. They can't take over the world for the very reasons you've already stated. So don't worry so much.

In my personal opinion even if all cpu's in the states are locked up and closed the US government will find out that just as many hackers are overseas and untouchable. It will not last long.

I wasnt really worried about america taking over the world ...

actually I'd be more worried by China....

Its not really the 50c transformer so much as the manuals, power cords etc. and the certification.

Like you point out the market for massive V8's here isn't large so they arent exported or EU testing made. There are lots of American products that are not available elsewhere, its not a conspiracy, just isnt economic.

What im pointing out is that it is different for Mandrake and Debian.

As you point out the likelyhood of this being hacked wouold seem high :D Look at the 256-bit XBOX security!

The expertise will be available outside America, thats not the issue. the issue is really if say Mandrake would distribute a distro to work ON a hacked system !!!!

Presently with the large US marketshare the answer is no becuase they would be hunted down in the US if they sold a non-US version. This is for instance the only reason I can think of for not including libdvdcss.

This is a subtle difference. If a company were selling something in America that is legal in America (like guns) :D then they would not be penalised or held responsible for that in Europe.

The other way round doesnt work.....

This is the fundamental difference. American courts will try companies for things done outside the US ...

Hence Debian can survive with non-US becuase of the non-commerical nature.

However for the reasons I stated America should probably be looking into this.... that is when India and China become bigger markets it will no longer be able to do this becuase not trading with the US will become a option.

Also (and more important to me) Europe Shouldnt be copying America on this becuase its on its way out for America itself.

Pzatch: Remember the medical malpractice linmits thread. It seems America is already changing this culture, at least in one state.... so its not impossibvle that IP laws will change too.

The EU is currently panicking to copy America over IP laws when most Americans are realising that they need changing since they seem to have evolved a life of their own, like the malpractice

(thats not criticism - just a reality - proof that America continues to evolve if you like)

Since you don't order anything electronic from America then you should not worry either.

When did I say that !!!

I have lots of stuff from America .... and not just electronics...

If I trusted myself to ride a bike Id be ordering that from America too.

This is just one American practice i dont like.... I can find at least 10 I do for very one I dont like.... but that doesn't mean I give up my right to free speech over either!

I only assumed you didn't buy anything from America. I live here and can't find any. Well except for two or three very expensive ( very good also) stereo systems. I know I don't need to buy either of those since the one I have is still good enough and their price is stupidly high.

But your right in that American laws need to move in the direction of europe more but I do beleive Europian laws could move a little our way also. Sort of a meeting in the middle. Best for all concerned.

As for any distro leaving out cirtain libs in order to sell in the states. Well. redHat did it just for legal safety and people found ways of putting them back in. Which way perfectly legal by US law since the libs are free(not distributed by the distro) and the end user choose to put them in.

But your right in that American laws need to move in the direction of europe more but I do beleive Europian laws could move a little our way also. Sort of a meeting in the middle. Best for all concerned.

hey, everyone seems to be catch'n on. Yeah, lets usher that One World mentality right on in and make it easy for them :deal: Actually I don't care....you can't stop it...it's coming, like it or not.

:D

Edited by bvc