Ms Sidewinder Strategic Commander

VeeDubb

I know this is another left field qeustion, but I have an old MS Sidewider Strategic commander, and I'd realy like to get it working under linux.

In windows, you use their software to program the buttons,or program them on the fly, and it emulates a USB keybord, so it works with absolutely any game that accepts keyboard input. It is intended for RTS games, though I and many others have found it works exceedingly well in FSP games if you take the time to think out your configuration and get it set up the way you want.

Anyway, I have read many passihng references to people using it in linux, and I'm convinced that it's doable, but I've not been able to find anything resembling directions.

I don't expect anyone here know's how, but I'd love to hear so ideas about where to start.

Come on guys!

I know `that this shouldn't be that hard. conceptualy, i know what I need to do. I just need to know how.

What needs to be done, is to somehow map the commands that is puts out to specific keyboard inputs.

I know this is possible because the USB version of "The Claw" which is a very similar device in both form and function is natively supported and lthe MCC detects the sidewinder correctly.