Your distro history?

plati

Just wondering what everyone's history with distro's has been.

What did you start with, what have you used since, why have you switched, and what do you use at the moment?

I started with mandrake 9.1, dropped for debian in an effort to be linux hardcore, but I couldnt figure it out, then I switched to fedora core 1 out of curiosity. Its been great so far! Im looking forward to mdk10 full release :D gnome 2.6 is purrdy :headbang:

Started with Mandrake 7.0. I have ran 7.1, 7.2 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, and 10. I have also ran most betas and rc's of each release.

I have also ran Red Hat 8.something, and 9.0, Fedora core 1, Arch linux, turbo linux, Gentoo, and SuSE 9 pro.

In addition, I use pclinuxOS 2k4 and MEPIS, which I also installed for a time. I have lately tried to always have at least two on my machine to play with.

In the same time period I have ran evil win98se, win me, and xp pro. Windex still stinks.

Almost forgot, at work I have a mac, 9.something. Personally, among them all, I like linux, and Mandrake.

Edited by Ixthusdan

Apple ][ (home)

then IBM XT (DOS 3.x) (work)

then Mac OS4.x -> 7.x (graduate school)

then Win95 (work)

then Mac Clone (OS 7.6->9.1) (home)

then Win98 SE (work)

then Corel Linux (Home)

then MDK 8.1, 8.2, 9.1, 9.2 and Win98SE, Win XP and Mac Clone OS 9.1 (work and home, dual boot machines)

Testing Knoppix 3.3 on an old Fujitsu laptop (Intel 155MHz)

Got my first computer November of 2000 with winME>yuk>went win98>better but after doing all that could be done with it--->

Start

Mandrake-7.2 (boxed) but no modem, soundcard, alpha support for my chipset and utter n00b confusion sent me back to to win98 for 10 or so months :lol: So I really started with 8.1 (boxed) one month before 8.2 was released....but that's what I get for NOT READING ...determined to learn linux and have the new stuff I hacked away at rpm_dep_hell from the cli and with gnorpm (great app!) to have an almost updated sys when 9.0 was released.

I wanted those few apps.....had to have them...but was so tired of dep_hell and urpmi absolutely stunk (new evolution, galeon gnome2.2 etc...) without the bugs I was getting so I downloaded 9.0 with my wincrap conexant modem....took almost 2 weeks :o ...md5sum's were good to go. Was given 9.1.

Next

Bored

if I remember right I did, yes, next was LFS B) .....umm twice :unsure: cuz I goofed the first time. Then slack, rh, libranet, debian, fedora, suse. I'm sure I'm missing a few but those are the main. Back and forth between most of those I've settled on Debian and Mandrake.

If you said I had to choose it would most definately be debian (unstable), hands down. No other distro has....well, 'worked'! More consistantly, easily, while being more stable debian just works. I find it very easy with little setup/config. Mandrake is a great distro, but between rpm issues and a wacko devel (sometimes)....I'd give it up for deb. Sorry. :thumbs:

Now

Never had a mac but would love to. Win? Had them all....currently xp pro and love it :P ....in it now :P ....don't care what you say :P I think it :headbang: ....OH! there's Colin McRae 04 callin' now :cheeky:

At work Win2k for me and a few others. Everyone else has mac. Just got 2 new g5 64 bit yesterday.

Edited by bvc

I started out on Linux about 8 or 9 months ago with Mandrake 9.1. Actually -- originally I installed mandrake 8.2 when I first built my computer, but ended up erasing it and starting fresh with XP. It took me quite a while to give Linux another chance. I enjoyed Mandrake very much, though I was faced with some annoying bugginess at times. Also mandrake + gdesklets = an impossibility for my system. I was getting sick of descending into dep hell everytime I tried to compile or install certain programs and thus I tried Debian. I used Knoppix to install to my hard drive -- simple! So far I'm very much enjoying Debian. Apt-get is an excellent packaging method and like bvc said, it just works. While the Knoppix installation was simple, the lack of a program like mcc has forced me to learn a bit more about getting around in Linux and that is always a good thing.

Mine is a simple sotry of a simple man....

Back in '98 I pick up a book on Red Hat 5.2 with Redhat 5.2 just to see what is was like. So, I played with it for a while, but still used Windows 98 for my main OS. In 2000 I finally got my own PC when I went to college and bought Mandrake 7.2. It was fine, but no internet (AOHELL...) so still WIn ME stayed on my desktop. Then, I got my own place, and cable internet, nd at the same time was forced to use UNIX (Sun Spac SOLORIS) for my programming classes. I bought Red Hat 7.3, then downloaded 8.0, RH 9, Fedora Core etc. All in all I have used:

Red Hat: 5.2, 7.3,8.0,9.0,Fedora Core 1,FC2T1/2/Rawhide (various)

Mandrake: 7.2,8.0,8.1,8.2,9.0,9.1,9.2,10CE

Debian

Knoppix/Gnoppix/overclockix

Slackware 8,9.1

SuSE 8.1

Vector

Peanut

Corel

and attempted LFS

Started out in 2000 with Mandrake 7.2 (it was Mandrake that got me into Linux)

Since then tried

Icepack, Storm, Corel, Redhat (2 versions), Caldera, Gentoo, Libranet, Debian, Slackware (2 versions), Yoper, TurboLinux, Suse, Knoppix, Gnoppix, Fedora and for other Unices OpenBSD, QNX

Presently running Mandrake 9.1 on my main machine and Slackware 9.1 on my test machine (although I'm going to install Mandrake 10.0 on the second drive of the test system when I get around to it) and waiting to get OpenBSD 3.5 and install it on a third machine.

BUT for the forseeable future Mandrake will remain my main OS, Mandy 9.1 has worked flawlessly for me (I feel like I must be dreaming, right now my "uptime" is 29 days)

When I get around to building a AMD Athlon64 system the first thing on it will be Mandrake for AMD64.

My very first computer was a 286 with PC-DOS 5.0 and a nifty little GUI called "GeoWorks" anyone out there remember that one?

Edited by Desire

My windows history:

Dos (even back on those monochrome screens with those giant square floppies) up to version 6 -> Windows 3.11 -> Windows 95 -> Windows XP (came preïnstalled on my new PC)

I was dissattisfied with what Windows offered me, so if I remember correctly I did a search (search engine) for 'Windows alternatives'. What I got was more than just the alternatives. It also got me to read all those informative documents like the Halloween documents, boycott microsoft website, 'blog'-like articles... Aside from dissatisfaction, I got more and more disgusted with the practices of EvilM$. So I was determined to try out something else, and Linux was quite popular and promised to be (relatively) easy to setup and use.

My Linux history:

1. Lycoris Amethyst: it did a poor job on hardware detection; no music, no working network connection, ... it did give me my first play with the CLI though.

2. Tried a few distro's that were to run inside/on top of windows, but never really got them working.

(between 2 and 3, there may be a few gaps in my memory, but I don't think so)

3. Downloaded Mandrake 9.0. Was very satisfied by it, so I order the 9.0 Powerpack. I was a little disappointed because what I thought it promised (like win4Lin included) appeared to be only demo versions (and I couldn't even properly set up Win4Lin since you needed a key. Since I could not get on the net with Mdk 9.0 back then, big bummer). But overall, I was satisfied

4. Mandrake 9.1 blew me away. In looks as well as in functionality, ease of use, and included programs. It was also the first distro in which I was able to use my internet connection. This got me really to play around with Linux, the programs, concepts and commands.

5. Mandrake 9.2 made the party complete by finally including improved USB 2.0 support! Now ALL of my hardware worked with it. Well, I have a HSP20 modem, which I never used anyway.

6. In the meantime, I kept checking out alternative distro's. I listed mine in that other thread. When I finally began to get REALLY serious about Linux ;) I decided to invest in a router as an intermediary between my ethernet connection and my wireless network (access point).

I had troubles and still did not succeed in setting this up in any version of Mandrake... :( That's when I started to try out distro's like Lindows, Mepis, Xandros, RedHat and SuSe (in the interim also installing Mdk 10.0 as soon as I could get my hands on it). While these are all nice, I have to say that the one that worked best for my purposes (i.e. replacement for Windows) would be Xandros. Alas, I experienced the last few weeks it is not always that stable for me. Then again, I seem to have the same problem in all Debian-based distro's. But they are also the only ones (aside from SuSe) to properly detect and set up my network connection.

Of course I played with a host of LiveCD's also...

So I've yet to decide on a distro to use at home, eventually replacing (or at least, pushing to a second rank) evilM$XP. As you can see, I'm at an important stage in my life ;)

Edited by Darkelve

As far as Linux distros go:

Mandrake 8.1 - 9.2

Libranet

SUSE

Pretty soon, Debian SID

All other OS's:

Commodore VIC 20 and 64 running basic

Macintosh

BeOS

DOS

Windows 3.1 - XP

Edited by spiedra

Hmmm, Lets see....

In no particular order:

Lycoris

Icepack

Suse

Peanut

Knoppix

Mepis

Mandrake 8 something thru 10

Evil Entity

PCLOS

Yoper

IPCop

Smoothwall

Libranet

Red Hat

Ark

considering Vector

and a botched LFS

Currently using PCLOS with Mandrake 10 on my testing partition, my firewall is running Smoothwall.