SCSI emulation on CD-RW... [SOLVED]

I hope this is the right forum for this. I searched around and "Emulation" seemed to most closely match my problem; ergo, I post here... :juggle:

This pristine, single OS install of :mdk: v9.2 is my first ever journey in the land of ice and snow called Linux )... hmmm, there's a Zep song in there somewhere... :headbang:). The install went so perfectly I'm still pinching myself thinking I may be asleep at the wheel or something. I have had NO, read: N-o-o-o major problems whatsoever from the time I booted from CD-1 until I sit here typing this plea for help. Having said that, I am now at the stage of tweaking the minor problems such as outlined here. I have so far been able, using the docs and various forums around the web, to overcome them one by one. This one, however, is a thorn in my side I can't seem to get beyond at the moment.

I went to a site that had a gozillion rpms to get some of them burned to CD so I could easily install them when I had a better handle on what I wanted in the installation. When I tried to burn them with K3b, I got the following error:

No support for ATAPI with cdrdao

You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy sources since there is at least one not configured to use SCSI emulation and your system does not support ATAPI with cdrdao.

Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI emulation) for all writer devices. This way you won't have any problems.

Obviously I know "what" it's telling me, having been a developer and web developer these past 20 years or so. However, being completely n00bish to Linux, I have no idea yet "where to fix it". I tried doing it through the hardware configuration section of the Control Center, but there isn't a switch there to turn on SCSI emulation. Then I tried to get to BIOS and see if I could do it from there. I can't figure out how to bypass the bootup and get into BIOS as you do in Windoze <hangs head in mewbie ignorance... :wall:>.

So, my fundamental question for all you veteran :tux: 's out there is this: hth do I change the settings to cause my burners to emulate SCSI so i can burn stuff. Or, secondly, how can I cause them to use ATAPI with cdrdao, or whatever that phrase is talking about?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. And btw, please pardon the fact that my warped Irish sense of humor comes out when I'm tired and frustrated (i.e., the silly emoticons).

Cheers!

Ci

Edited by Ciinien

Welcome to the board!

you need to edit the bootloader config file. If lilo, then it's /etc/lilo.conf

and your filesystem config file;

/etc/fstab

see if this helps and post back if not

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=6665

btw, if you haven't check out all the other FAQ

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showforum=29

Edited by bvc

Thanks for the welcome and quick response, bvc. I will do as you suggest and get back to you. Just goes to show you that I should have :deal: (RTFM) a little more thoroughly... B)

Cheers!

Ci

Edited by Ciinien

Well, the information in the FAQ didn't do the trick. It did, however, send me on a couple of interesting side trips. I discovered by poking around here and there, for instance, that one of my CDs is, in fact, recognized by the OS as: /dev/scd0 (/mnt/cdrom2). So, that gives me other avenues to explore tomorrow, right? I just need to figure out how to persuade lilo.conf to clue K3 in to burn on that particular CDRW and none other.

Also, it may be the bus cable connection conundrum; I don't remember at this point how I hooked those up when I bought the burner (this machine is an old P-Pro III I just happened to have laying around when I decided to rebuild my home network). I have to tear into the box and check to see what is hooked up where.

At any rate, even though we haven't solved it, we've posed hypotesis that need clinical research to ascertain their validity... :geek: . I will say at this point that I am happy I decided to finally take the Linux plunge. As soon as I get used to doing everyting in an almost diametrically opposed way to Windoze, I should be fine... :ph34r:

Again, thanks for the help and warm welcome. We'll attack again tomorrow. This computer, nor :tux: , realize just yet that "I came here to WIN!"

Cheers!

Ci

Edited by Ciinien

bvc,

I apologize in advance for my verbosity. I just like all the i's dotted and the t's crossed in my discussions/debates... :D. I wanted to post this for two reasons

1. To insure that in case I blow up :mdk: and have to completely reinstall, I will still have a record of the original file contents for reference.
  2. To see if what I plan is actually the best plan, or if you have suggestions that would fix the problem without me fumbling my way into a corner, so to speak.

Alright, by following the FAQ you referred me to, I've discovered and done the following things.

• Made all the /etc/lilo.conf changes suggested in the CD burner FAQ, with the exceptioin that I substituted my hdc device where you told me to insert hdb (see File Listing A, below -- I purle highlighted the inserts).
  • Got to poking around and found via Control Center | Configure Hardware that there is, in fact, a CD that is seen and recognized by the OS as SCSI. This the real burner on the system.

Output from Control Center | Configure Hardware applet -- Burner device

Bus: SCSI

Location on the bus: 0:0:0

Drive capacity: burner

Channel: 00

New devfs device: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/scd0

Floppy format: HP CD-Writer+ 9100b

Media class: cdrom

2nd CD/DVD Player-only device

Model: DVD-ROM SD-60

Vendor: Samsung

Bus: ide (as you will see in the lilo.conf output below, I have tried to change this to ide-scsi as directed)

Drive capacity: DVD

Channel: secondary

New devfs device: /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/hd

Media class: cdrom

File Listing A: /etc/lilo.conf:

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount splash=silent splash=silent splash=silent hdd=ide-sc

si hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount splash=silent splash=silent splash=silent hdd=ide-sc

si hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

read-only

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk

label="old_linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img

append="devfs=mount splash=silent splash=silent hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht res

ume=/dev/hda5"

read-only

label="old2_linux-nonf"

root=/dev/hda1

append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

read-only

label="old3_linux-nonf"

root=/dev/hda1

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount splash=silent splash=silent splash=silent

hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 failsafe"        read-only

Information contained in /root/dev as pertains to this scsi emulation

discussion:

[root@scotty dev]# ls -la cd*

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        13 Apr 10 03:51 cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        13 Apr 10 03:51 cdrom0 -> cdroms/cdrom0

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        13 Apr 10 03:51 cdrom1 -> cdroms/cdrom1

cdroms:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x    1 root  root            0 Dec 31  1969 ./

drwxr-xr-x    1 root  root            0 Dec 31  1969 ../

lr-xr-xr-x      1 root  root        33 Dec 31  1969 cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

lr-xr-xr-x      1 root  root        34 Dec 31  1969 cdrom1 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Does this all look about as one would expect?

And if so, if I completely # rm the first reference to cdrom0 and # ln -s the line above that reads: 33 Dec 31 1969 cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

to read instead: 33 Dec 31 1969 cdrom0 -> ../scsi/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd , that should satisfy the instructions in the FAQ concerning the symlink? Note the swapping of busX designations to get the drives in the order the OS seems to be reading them? I would then change the line that actually SEES the scsi drive to a bus1 designation. Is this "proper", or will it muck things up even further?

And further, this should then make K3b, and all other devices/apps see both CDs as SCSI. Are these not correct assumptions?

I know I'm groping around in the dark here, but I do wish to learn and am trying to do this without bothering anyone any more than neccessary... :unsure:

Cheers!

Ci

And if so, if I completely # rm the first reference to cdrom0 and # ln -s the line above that reads: 33 Dec 31 1969 cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

to read instead: 33 Dec 31 1969 cdrom0 -> ../scsi/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd , that should satisfy the instructions in the FAQ concerning the symlink? Note the swapping of busX designations to get the drives in the order the OS seems to be reading them? I would then change the line that actually SEES the scsi drive to a bus1 designation. Is this "proper", or will it muck things up even further?

You are correct about lilo.conf, but once you change lilo.conf and reboot, all of the above will be taken care of for you. devfs looks at /etc/lilo.conf when it gets mounted and that's where all the stuff in /dev comes from.

You are correct about lilo.conf, but once you change lilo.conf and reboot, all of the above will be taken care of for you. devfs looks at /etc/lilo.conf when it gets mounted and that's where all the stuff in /dev comes from.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. That's what I thought as well given the way I'm beginning to understand a little about how Linux works. However, that's not the way it's panning out. I've changed /etc/lilo.conf and edited /etc/fstab by hand over and over today, as well as letting K3b do it for itself. Likewise I've # rm and # ln -s the symlink many times. For some reason the symlink always gets set back to seeing the CD as ide by some process or the other I have yet to run down. Is there perhaps somewhere I can simply download and install ATAPI so K3b will put on it's glad-rags and move on about it's business.

I read somewhere, other than the FAQ that bvc referred me to, that the the CD-RW, has to be on the end of the bus cable with the non-burner CD on the middle connector (I forget where I saw it--I've read many, many sets of docs at this point around the 'net). That's the last thing I have yet to try. I am about to pull the last two or three hairs I still possess out over this... :wall:

It's not all bad though. I am learning more by doing it this way and running down this lead and that than I would be otherwise. Any day I can learn something is a productive day, whether or not I solved the immediate problem at hand.

:tux: er just a rollin' along on training wheels!

Ci

Ok, just cgecking one or two things

After modifying lilo, are you running as root

/sbin/lilo -v

Also, when you start up your computer, run "modprobe ide-scsi' and let me know what it says.

Good luck!!!

iphitus

Offtopic

You might have a bit of fun reading though this:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html

Mainly chapter 4 which contains some usefull CLI stuff

Ok, just cgecking one or two things

After modifying lilo, are you running as root

/sbin/lilo -v

Also, when you start up your computer, run "modprobe ide-scsi' and let me know what it says.

Good luck!!!

iphitus

Thanks for the response, iphitus. I do run as root when I am trying to make all these system changes. However, since I reboot after each lilo.conf change, as suggested in the FAQ, I come back on as my /home/Ciinien account until I specifically # su for whatever reason.

When I # su to become root and run # modprobe ide-scsi from Konsole I get nothing. The OS simply returns me to the command line; leading me to believe I am not entering it correctly.

Running the lilo command you mention nets the following:

[root@scotty ciinien]# /sbin/lilo -v
LILO version 22.5.7.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2003 John Coffman
Released 20-Aug-2003, and compiled at 16:45:54 on Sep 18 2003

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/dcsi")

For the record, I did a # cd to /dev, then # ls -la d* . I have no # /dev/dcsi entry listed there so I don't know what that is talking about. Neither am I running RAID? <shrugs>

Amd as one of my favorite all-time detectives would say, "Watson, the plot thickens--the game is afoot!"

Cheers!

Ci

Okay, after some digging around, I found the errant RAID related code in # /etc/lilo.conf. Where it came from or how it got there, I have no idea. I absolutely cannot remember putting it there. Anyway, here is the new run using the lilo -v command:

LILO version 22.5.7.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2003 John Coffman

Reading boot sector from current root.
Using GRAPHIC secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data
Mapping message file /boot/message -> message-graphic
Calling map_insert_file

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img
Added linux *

Added linux-nonfb

Boot other: /dev/fd0, loader CHAIN
Pseudo partition start: 0
Added floppy

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img
Added old_linux-nonfb

Added old2_linux-nonf

Added old3_linux-nonf

Added failsafe

Writing boot sector.
Backup copy of boot sector in /boot/boot.0301

Hope this means more to you than it does me. All I know is there were no errors, so whatever it is doing, it's most likely doing as it thinks it should... :D

Btw, if I move Down Under, think you could talk a couple of those babes into hanging on an old party animal's arm? Nah! But what an enticing thought, eh? rofl

Cheer!

Ci

LILO version 22.5.7.2, Copyright © 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Development beyond version 21 Copyright © 1999-2003 John Coffman

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/dcsi")

There's a typo in your lilo.conf. I'll bet money that when you edited lilo.conf, you accidentally put

hdc=ide-dcsi

Anytime you see 'Fatal:' when you run lilo -v, it doesn't install the new configuration of lilo and you are still booting with the old, which does not have the ide-scsi for that disk.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Actuallly, Steve, that line had somehow gotten inserted somewhere along the way as the very first line in the /etc/lilo.conf file. As I said, how it got there, or what process put it there I have no idea--I only know it wasn't me. I rechecked my entries (I have looked at lilo.conf so often now I could almost write one from scratch out of memory--they were correct, as far as I can tell). Be that as it may, I removed the entry, so the point of where it came from is now moot... :P

At any rate, I think it's about time to close this thread out as a neat learning tool, but an as yet unsolved mystery. I have changed the drives to reflect that the burner is now at the end of the bus cable and the non-burner CD/DVD player is on the middle connector.

I have rerun k3bsetup and all the other suggestions from the FAQ bvc referred me to through the last suggestions here and from other documents found online. Nothing has changed that I can see. The OS still sees the burner as a scsi drive (but still won't let me burn to it) and the CD/DVD as an ide device, no matter what I do. The only thing I know that's left at this point is re-installing and see if the new install will reflect the changes of the drives on the bus cable.

I will wait a little while to make such a radical move until a couple of you guys trying to help me through my n00bness have a chance to see this post and reply in the affirmative or negative and possibly offer other suggestions.

Ona a side note: I did a little upgrading of draxtools earlier today (allowing all dependencies mentioned to be satisfied, of course) and some of my configuration tools went away in KDE such as the Software Media Manager and Software Installer. What's up with that?

Cheers!

Ci

Edited by Ciinien

Also, try adding

scsi_hostadapter

there.

Please do not reinstall. This is easy to fix once we figure out what step you are missing.

Make sure the append line for the kernel you are booting into has both

hdd=ide-scsi

and

hdc=ide-scsi

in /etc/lilo.conf. Then, as root, run

lilo -v

After making sure all this is done and there are no errors when you run lilo -v, reboot. All should be well.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire