fglrx ATI Driver

JohnBoy

Ok, so I was running mdk9.2, and me being the newbie, i mauled it. So, I downloaded 10.0 Community and installed it. everything is goin good sense it has the 2.6 kernel with nforce already installed (which is what got me to screw up 9.2)

so I try to install the ATI driver off of their website. I got out of xwindows, ran the command

rpm -Uh --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm

in the directory where the rpm file was.

looked like it installed ok, so I ran the fglrxconfig util, and configured what I thought was a working 2d/3d driver for my 9600.

So i load up xwindows, and I try to run a gl screensaver to test it, and it runs extremely slow. like a software rendering, except the textures are smooth like hardware.

what gives? anyone have any input?

thanks for the help!

John

You are in luck, I did the same thing three days ago!

First of all, the drivers do work, and when they do the card is awsome!

Did you try running fglrxinfo ? just start up a terminal and type it in. It should say Vendor: ATI Technologies, Inc

If it says something like Messa then you are using software rendering.

I remember, that the driver requires the Kernel Source header. It is on the third disk. If you open up MCC and go to software management, search for 'kernel' and you will find a package of the 2.6.4 kernel source. Install that, and run the command to configure them. (I can't remember the exact command..... i think it was ./configure in the dir /usr/src/ATI/, but I might be wrong.) Then reinstall the drivers. It should work :D

Christian

well i tried just that, and it still wasnt working... so I did a little digging.

headed over to linuxquestions.org (dont hurt me admins...) :unsure:

and I found a post titled : My ATI 9600 Linux Fix!!!!

the first post got me on my way, and i had to scroll down a bit more and modify my modprob.conf file a bit to force the AGP drivers to work, and it started working.

that was fun... now what is the flgears thing to test it, how fast it runs? forgot that :screwy:

Meanwhile, I *still* haven't been able to get the driver to work. The RPM seemed to install okay, and I ran fglrxconfig, giving values similar to what I needed for W2K, and when I restart X, it just flashes once for each resolution I specified, then drops me to the console with a message that no screens are available.

No sweat, I just log on and replace XF86Config-4 with the original that I stashed away for just such an eventuality. ;)

But I would *really* like to get this driver to work. Maybe I need to drop back and run the "./make.sh", etc., and go from there....

It sounds like in your case the proper driver/module is not loaded, you may get the system to autoload at boot by adding it to the /etc/modprobe.preload file...

That said, maybe the above posters could post their /etc/modprobe.conf and modprobe.preload and other relevant files here, for comparison.

yeah, to get mine to work, i had to edit the modprobe.conf file (i think thats it, its been a few days) and add something along the lines of

install fglrx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fglrx && { /sbin/modprobe nvidia_agp; /bin/true; }

dont quote me there... and thats if youre running nforce2 chipset (assuming you have that running ok if youre >kernel 2.6) :juggle:

John

yeah, to get mine to work, i had to edit the modprobe.conf file (i think thats it, its been a few days) and add something along the lines of

<!--QuoteEBegin-->install fglrx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install fglrx && { /sbin/modprobe nvidia_agp; /bin/true; }<!--QuoteEBegin-->

dont quote me there... and thats if youre running nforce2 chipset (assuming you have that running ok if youre >kernel 2.6) :juggle:

John

Ok now that odd. I don't have a modprobe.conf. Think thats going to make it diffucult to add that line. lol