Getting more disk space from Windows XP

arthur

set minimum page filesize to (amount of ram)*1.5

set maximum page filesize to (amount of ram)*1.5

meaning min and max should be the same number.

This will reduce HEAPS of disk fragmentation

Actually if you have 1 GB of RAM you don't need a pagefile at all unless your using Photoshop. If want to keep a pagefile reduce to say 500MB min, 500Max

if you really wanna save space......do what i did. i uninstalled......IE, OE, M$ Office, windows media player, activex, VBSscript, IIS,......the list goes on. yes i did actually still have a working version of XP. just defrag dont work, nor does device manager, MCC, antivirus, but then with VBSscript gone that eliminates the probability of getting most viruses.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

http://www.x-setup.net/

B)

oh, and yes, ntfs sucks, anyway you look at it, including its permissions.

Edited by bvc

oh. and dont use NTFS. use fat32. NTFS has some bugs. the NTFS driver can load twice on bootup causing the entire filesystem to be unreadable. fat32 doesnt have this issue. NTFS also does take up more space.

i've had some real headaches with NTFS. unfortunately, you don't have alot of choice if you've bought a big honking disk drive -- that is, unless you're willing to format it into a lot of little virtual drives.

there are some real problems with NTFS, including differences between the implementations of NTFS on 200 Pro and XP Pro.

I've hearned the hard way what it means to have programs that are not "Designed for XP." I have a bunch of technical analysis software for the securities market that was designed for Win95/98. XP views these apps as "legacy" software.

unfortunately, when the legacy software is installed on XP under NTFS, user file permisions are not granted to the application to write to its own data files, even on a system that is configured with one user as the administrator. even though XP gives you the illusion that its allowed you manually change user permissions and to manually change the R-O flag on the files, it immediately and transparently resets the R-O flags to read-only. As a result, the "legacy" software can't append to its own data files.

this seems to be an NTFS specific problem that occurs under both 2000 Pro and XP Pro. The problem completely disappears on both OS when the disks are formatted in FAT32.

This appears to be either a glaring error in NTFS or an intentional effort to induce clients to enter the hardware/software upgrade cycle.

My interim solution is to serve the files across the LAN from a 2000 Pro PC formatted under FAT32.

My long term solution is to migrate away from Windows.

oh. and dont use NTFS. use fat32. NTFS has some bugs. the NTFS driver can load twice on bootup causing the entire filesystem to be unreadable. fat32 doesnt have this issue. NTFS also does take up more space.

i've had some real headaches with NTFS. unfortunately, you don't have alot of choice if you've bought a big honking disk drive -- that is, unless you're willing to format it into a lot of little virtual drives.

there are some real problems with NTFS, including differences between the implementations of NTFS on 200 Pro and XP Pro.

I've hearned the hard way what it means to have programs that are not "Designed for XP." I have a bunch of technical analysis software for the securities market that was designed for Win95/98. XP views these apps as "legacy" software.

unfortunately, when the legacy software is installed on XP under NTFS, user file permisions are not granted to the application to write to its own data files, even on a system that is configured with one user as the administrator. even though XP gives you the illusion that its allowed you manually change user permissions and to manually change the R-O flag on the files, it immediately and transparently resets the R-O flags to read-only. As a result, the "legacy" software can't append to its own data files.

this seems to be an NTFS specific problem that occurs under both 2000 Pro and XP Pro. The problem completely disappears on both OS when the disks are formatted in FAT32.

This appears to be either a glaring error in NTFS or an intentional effort to induce clients to enter the hardware/software upgrade cycle.

My interim solution is to serve the files across the LAN from a 2000 Pro PC formatted under FAT32.

My long term solution is to migrate away from Windows.

actually its not so much NTFS as it is the NT kernel. M$ deliberately made XP so that it was NOT backwards compatible. 95,and 98 all have 16 bit code. NT 4.0 also has 16 bit code in it, but due to the fact that it is a different kernel on a different filesystem some apps will not run on the NT line up. add to the fact that XP is not backwards compatible and you have the makings for what you just described.

actually its not so much NTFS as it is the NT kernel...

i don't follow why this would be a kernel problem. the same kernel is installed when Windows 2000 Pro accesses a FAT32 volume as when it accesses an NTFS volume, no?

the same could be said for the XP Pro installation - the same kernel accesses volumes on two different file systems to produce the problems.