setting up a ML / XP network

NeoXP

Hi to you all.

I've been searching the internet for more than a week now to find the solution for my prob.

First I'll tell you what I have in mind. I'm trying to connect my two workstations via my Zyxell adslrouter to eachother.

I've made a simple smb.conf:

[global]

workgroup = MATRIX

security = share

printable = no

read only = no

[homes]

browseable = no

writeable = yes

[lib]

path = /lib

writeable = yes

browseable = yes

[public]

path = /home/enne/shared

writeable = yes

browseable = yes

printable = no

When on my XP-box, I can see my Linux-box but I cannot browse it, When on my Linux-box I can make a connection using smbclient ***.***.***.*** .... but when I try to make a Samba-mountpoint in MCC I cannot see my XP-box. :wall:

Maybe you guys can take a short look at my smb.conf and give some hints. :help:

Thx so much in advance

To begin with, you need to make sure that you have encrypted passwords turned on.

If you do not do this, nothing else will ever work.

Also, connecting from your XP box to your MDK box is one operation that requires the smb.conf file and a properly set up samba server. Connecting from you MDK box to your XP box does not require the samba server, only samba-client, and does not require the smb.conf file either. In other words, you have two problems here that are not necessarily connected.

In addition to making sure that encrypted passwords has been turned on, you also need to do a few things:

1. make sure that each user that needs to connect to the samba server has been added as a linux user.

2. make sure that each user has been added as a samba user as well.

3. the user id and password for the linux user and the samba user need to be identical

4. you need to ensure that the user id and password that the user uses to log onto the XP boxes is the same as the user id and password entered for both linux and samba

If you do all this, then it should work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, thxs sofar. I still have probs.

I've setup my network now, from my XP-box I can see my Linux-box and I can browse, read and change in the shares I've setup, sofar no prob.......

From my Linux-box I can ping my XP-box, I can make a connection to it using smbclient from the commandline and browse it, make dirs, remove dirs and so on. I can see my XP-box using either smb4k or xsmbrowser, but when trying to acces it it says unable to find computer. :wall:

Please give me some advise, it is more important to me to see and browse my XP-box from my Linux-box than the other way around (although it would be nice to do both). :help: