Linux on Desktop Making Big Strides

energymedia

For what it's worth, and just to be my usual self, I work with graphic design and graphic production houses in the sign business. I bought a mac for the purpose of producing large format prints because the mac users couldn't figure out how to save a file that would not pixilate upon conversion to pc. 85% of everything comes to me pc now, rather than mac. I don't know about video, but the graphic industry is moving away from mac.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, "graphics" encompasses print, sign, video, and internet images. I am familiar with print and sign.

Edited by Ixthusdan

For what it's worth, and just to be my usual self, I work with graphic design and graphic production houses in the sign business. I bought a mac for the purpose of producing large format prints because the mac users couldn't figure out how to save a file that would not pixilate upon conversion to pc. 85% of everything comes to me pc now, rather than mac. I don't know about video, but the graphic industry is moving away from mac.

Couldn't figure out how to save a file that would not pixilate upon conversion to PC? This doesn't make any sense to me and I've been doing graphic design since 1988. Pixelate you mean? The same thing that all raster/bitmap graphics do? Are you talking about the difference between vector and raster graphics?

I don't understand your statement. Are you saying that Mac users don't now how to save a graphic file in vector format?

Are you aware that .ai files on Mac are compatible with .ai files on PC? Same with .tiff, same with .jpeg and .gif, PNG, etc. Anyone who's worth their salt in graphics design knows how to save files in vector format. These file formats are cross-platform. You don't typically have to do anything to them. Save your file as a .ai or a EPS, convert your fonts to outlines unless you're sure the recipient has that font installed and viola.

The main problems that you have with cross-platform is that Macs have superior color management capabilities (ColorSync) that PCs can't touch. How do I know? I have them both. Including my trusty Mandrake box that I'm writing this on. There's a reason the graphics design industry uses more expensive Macs instead of going to cheaper hardware - Macs work better for graphic design.

This is the problem with these types of discussions (and I mean no offense, honest): We have users posting as if they're experts and the things they're saying are confusing and misleading other folks who trust them to give straight talk.

As for the graphic industry moving away from Mac, I disagree completely. I used to work at E! in IT and right there in the middle of it all in the industry. Windows and thin clients via Citrix everywhere. But you can bet that creative services uses Macs and they're getting more, not less. That includes the video department, the Avid bays, the web design team, etc. Same with the rest of the industry. To say that the industry is moving away from Mac when Apple just turned it on it's ear with the release of the G5 and OS X Panther - that's just completely nuts to say and you're misleading a lot of people who are taking you for your word.

Please stop making misinformed statements like this just to win a holy war in this discussion.

Linux is good for what it's good for. Be happy with that. Macs are good for what they're good for.

No need to make up things or spread FUD to people who are trusting you to give them the straight story.

Again, I mean no disrespect but it really irks me to see this stuff going on. "I don't use a Mac and I'm not in graphics design, but I bet I can do in GIMP what you can do in Photoshop", etc. That's just nuts. GIMP is nice for OpenSource but it can't touch Photoshop. Anyone who says it can is either lying or they're not very advanced with Photoshop.

This is a good topic when people stop making things up to try and support their argument. Please post the facts and stick with 'em.

Cheers,

- Rip