Linux on Desktop Making Big Strides

energymedia

these ports from pixar and others aren't for your DE. Sorry.

The question was

"OS X has capabilities that the best versions of linux can't match...."

yeah, like what? hehe...

version implies, current. Those that say 'linux can do' need to put up or..... :P

.....as several of us have pointed out 'it does not'....currently. It simply can not, rt now, on your box.

Inovation is good.....but these new apps/not ports will have to hold to the industries standards. Who needs an image in gimp format, abiword, kword, ?pdf, <put_whatever_down_the_road.here>... etc.....format? :screwy: they're useless to 99.99999999% and in 5 years will be useless to 90% ?maybe?

It's another debate that is never won by anyone. I just crack up when I see people saying they 'can do, right now' what everyone else can. That's an impossibility.

Ok, I'll bite. I will put up with you. (for you) ;-)

What software are you looking for?

Maya

Mainactor

"Apple Shake 3"

Those are just 3 I know of off the bat, really, what kind of stuff are you looking for. I need something to compare to. I'm not a graphics artist or anything.

Yep, stuff runs under crossover office too. You can call it what ever you want, but you didn't have to buy the Microsoft license to run the apps.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lord of the Rings—Now on Linux

To create the astounding special effects for The Lord of the Rings, New Zealand-based Weta Digital used more than 200 workstations and 450 dual-processor servers running Red Hat Linux 7.3. Pixar's Alfred, a Linux-based software application, identifies system resources and distributes rendering jobs, like shadows and reflections, across idle processors to speed up scene creation. At any one time, Weta can have 1,400 processors working on special effects. Support for clustering and distributed computing has made Linux a viable enterprise operating system.

Not to shabby.

Those that say 'linux can do' need to put up or..... :P

i am not a developer. i do know however....IT IS possible. period. end of story.

Inovation is good.....but these new apps/not ports will have to hold to the industries standards. Who needs an image in gimp format, abiword, kword, ?pdf, <put_whatever_down_the_road.here>... etc.....format?  they're useless to 99.99999999% and in 5 years will be useless to 90% ?maybe?

do you mean like M$ office? where they keep making current versions incompatible with past versions?

lets reflect on history. arpanet (OSS) developed tcp/ip. MIT developed kerebos (also OSS). M$ tries to buy out the standard, then add their own code, then patent it so nobody else can touch it.

gimp is an OSS version of what? photoshop (kinda). abiword/kword, etc, etc...are OSS clones of MS Word. this isnt inovation.

standardization is important to. dont get me wrong. but if we just stay with standards, then we never come to anything new and we become complacent.

actually I ended the story because this is the here and now we're talking about. Here and now, you can not do on linux what can be done on a mac. That I can think of, there is nothing that can be done on linux that can not be done on a mac :unsure:

You can come up with the most inovative apps/formats the world can imagine, but if the transition from the current can't be done smoothly forget it. Not all will convert in one day....and one day will cost billions in losses. That's the obvious. So my point is that these inovative apps will need to handle todays standards or companys/home user's alike will not switch, as a whole. People aren't going to throw away 10 years of work because some app is awesome and they don't want to dual/triple boot either. Time is money, time is time....and there's not enough of either in this dog_eat_dog world.

If linux can't handle the current, where's the inovation going to come from? Obviously not me :lol: I'm just riding the winds of change here, but I know what I see and can admit it.

Don't get me wrong, in the 'very' end I really think linux will be on top in most areas. Why? Becasue you can't stop a large group of people that believe in a common goal. Linux needs organization. If the heads were put together it would be on top already. I wouldn't be here with 5000 post if I didn't belive it. Yet, I'm a realist....and like me that way

Jahshaka

Cinepaint

Softimage

Houdini Master

Renderman

Blender

POV-Ray

I don't know, seems to me there is software out there and the Movie studio's are using them. I'm a realist too, and there is "real" software to use for Linux that people who know a lot more about graphics than you or I (anyone else) here are using to bring it to life.

Edited by cybrjackle

Studios Using Linux

Digital Domain

Disney

Double Negative

Dreamworks

Flash Film Works

Hammerhead

Industrial Light & Magic

Pixar

Rhythm & Hues

Sony Pictures

Tippett

Weta Digital

Dantes Peak [2/7/97] D2

Titanic [12/19/97] D2

Stuart Little [12/17/99] R&H

Little Nicky [11/10/00] R&H

Grinch [11/17/00] R&H

Sixth Day [11/17/00] R&H

Enemy at the Gates [3/16/01] Double Negative (England)

Cats & Dogs [4/4/01] R&H

Shrek [5/16/01] Dreamworks

Fast & the Furious [6/22/01] Hammerhead

Dr. Dolittle 2 [6/22/01] R&H

Final Fantasy [7/11/01] Square (ceased operations)

Planet of the Apes [7/27/01] R&H

Captain Corelli's Mandolin [9/17/01] Double Negative

Harry Potter [11/16/01] R&H

Lord of the Rings 1 [12/19/01] Weta

Collateral Damage [2/8/02] Flash Film Works

Blade II [3/22/02] Tippett

Death to Smoochy [3/29/02] Flash Film Works

Star Wars E2 [5/16/02] ILM

Spirit [5/24/02] Dreamworks

Scooby-Doo [6/14/01] Rhythm & Hues

Haunted Lighthouse (IMAX) [summer 2002 Busch Gardens] Island Fever

Men In Black 2 [7/3/02] Tippett (limited Linux, chase scene through Manhattan)

XXX [8/9/2002] D2

Pluto Nash [8/16/02] Flash Film Works

Blue Crush [8/16/02] Hammerhead

Below [Q3 02] Double Negative

Santa Clause 2 [11/1/02] Tippett

Harry Potter 2 [11/15/02] (not confirmed this is Linux)

Star Trek Nemesis [12/13/02] D2

Lord of the Rings 2 [12/25/02] Weta (New Zealand)

This is old list, more is out there. So were exactly can the arguement stand that Linux can't do graphics? From my POV "IT IS" doing graphics.

umm.......we already established the movie part...nobody was challenging that.....hope you learned something :lol:

nah, already new that.

What is it your looking for then? That handles graphic's for linux no?

Dual G5 w/ top Graphics card

What can that do compared to a

Dual Opteron w/ top Graphics card. Ok, nothing.

Let me make the question clearer, What is it that Mac offers that Linux can't do?

Edited by cybrjackle

Those are just 3 I know of off the bat, really, what kind of stuff are you looking for.  I need something to compare to.  I'm not a graphics artist or anything.

Two ppl in the graphics industry have layed it out for you. Sure you could google....so could anyone...but that doesn't change an industry embedded into doing things a certain way.....it's a network, and a very fast paced one at that. Becasue of this, things will not change anytime soon, I promise.

Those are just 3 I know of off the bat, really, what kind of stuff are you looking for.  I need something to compare to.  I'm not a graphics artist or anything.

Two ppl in the graphics industry have layed it out for you. Sure you could google....so could anyone...but that doesn't change an industry embedded into doing things a certain way.....it's a network, and a very fast paced one at that. Becasue of this, things will not change anytime soon, I promise.

Ok, I admit I'm stupid.

If BIG movie studio's are using Linux for graphics, what part am i missing? I know mac can do graphics, <--- I'm not that stupid, BUT apparently so can Linux as you see from googleing.

So honestly, I don't get this one bit, I show examples of Linux doing the samething Mac does and some how that is getting dropped? Am I lost?

You say it wont change anytime soon, well out of the list of Software, Studio's and Movies being made with Linux, I would dis-agree and say that it is changeing.

Can Linux do the same Graphics stuff that Mac Does? YES/NO

What would the advantage of me buying Mac hardware be over x86 AMD64 stuff be?

Edited by cybrjackle

Ok, I admit I'm stupid.

If BIG movie studio's are using Linux for graphics, what part am i missing? I know mac can do graphics, <--- I'm not that stupid, BUT apparently so can Linux as you see from googleing.

So honestly, I don't get this one bit, I show examples of Linux doing the samething Mac does and some how that is getting dropped? Am I lost?

You say it wont change anytime soon, well out of the list of Software, Studio's and Movies being made with Linux, I would dis-agree and say that it is changeing.

Can Linux do the same Graphics stuff that Mac Does? YES/NO

What would the advantage of me buying Mac hardware be over x86 AMD64 stuff be?

if you d/k....you d/need to

should the day come that you do need to know.....you will

if you d/k....you d/need to

should the day come that you do need to know.....you will

thats the sort of thing that irritates me. either answer the question or drop it. you have provided no hard imperical data to dispute what cybrjackle said. obviously you dont intend to. my personal conclusion is, your biased. nothing wrong with that.

what does irritate me is that you present it like its obvious when its not. you come accross like your better than....and maybe you are, just do the curtesy to back it up. prove it. otherwise, i must conclude your full of it, and cybrjackle's arguement is more convincing since he has provided "proof".

What he said ^

I believe it was you that said

Those that say 'linux can do' need to put up or.....  :P

Now, I put up evidence that supports Linux. But your not saying anything other than "I don't need to know" ?

Come on, that isn't an arguement, your better than that!

:D

You 2 seriously need to 'learn' how to keep what I say in context. If you haven't understood it by now, I really don't know what else to say. Maybe you should read just what I've said again without a linux zealot heart? Who's biased here is obvious and the both of you have always been this way concerning the possibility that any other os could be more/better than linux in any area. Your sick! Seriously! Wake up already!

Be fore you start accusing me of what you yourselves are guilty of you need to realize that;

-I was at work all day for these post, and unlike some ppl I actually work and don't have time to write a book. I also type extremely slow compared to most.

Now I'm at home with a family, sleep deprived and been working long hours, why? Because of these industry standards that you seem to think linux 'currently' has the answers to? The professionals in the printing/graphics industry are not windozers, by any means. Many of them use linux at home, as I stated earlier. They love it too, and if it could work work don't ya think they'd at least be trying? They're not. Because it won't (at this time if ever). Five to ten hours of my week are because of these apps, .ext, formats, version incompatabilities, redo, redo, retransfer, re-email, what version_oh that's why.....and this is on ONE OS (mac). To try and curve that a bit the new hot thing is InDesign. What's linux gonna do with that? Today? Right now? Huh? Scribus? PageStream? Please. Oh, sorry sir you gonna have to go 'pay out of your pocket, your ppl to redo this into a format that we can do something with....we use linux here Who sounds better than.....here? Now, if you think for a second that I'm gonna be away from my family for 20 more hours a week because some nimwitt linux zealot boss or other company we need files files from thinks linux can do what it can't, you are out of your mind, I'd quit in a heartbeat! Moreover, if you think owners of companies all over the world are going to pay out millions of dollars more a year to pay for that dumb linux zealot's false illusions you're even crazier! AAaaaaaAAaannnnddD If you think our top clients, client is going to tolerate their ad, that they paid $150,000 for (you got it...a one page ad in a worldwide publication) to not go to press because of a bad/incompatible file that we shipped Priority Overnight (that I tok to the airport at 9PM) to New York you're absolutely looney! So it seems I am better than you in this case because I know, I'm there. Why have I had to write a book? You can't take my word as someone in the industry, that uses linux at home and has 5000 post on a linux forum? It's not like I even have a mac. What's the matter with you ppl?

Like I said, the graphics industry is it's own animal. It is not your little desktop. It is not One company making stuff for One movie. It is a network of millions of computers, designers, and ppl working toward one common goal. Change is not going to come easy. I hope this explains it a little better and I hope you realized this is the very reason no one is working to make the, if not impossible, near impossible happen.

So, there's still no data here, but you know what you can do with that and scientific minds? uh hu! Keep your rude comments to yourself and have a little common sense!

Want more? Because I'm done being nice. :devil:

I was at work for 55 hours, are we getting in a pissing contest?

Sorry, my bad once again you are always right, you always have been and in your own mind always will be.

All hail king bvc!

Quite being a jerk, i wasn't being a jerk to you I only asked and showed that YES, I a Linux zealot thinks it is possible to use Linux in many things. Even were Mac rains as champ.

But since I don't work as much as you and know as much as you, and can't piss further than you, I guess you can just bite me.

l8r sir bvc