Linux on Desktop Making Big Strides

energymedia

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"OS X has capabilities that the best versions of linux can't match...."

yeah, like what? hehe...

Pick up a magazine......watch a movie, tv, cartoon or animated what_not......pick up a menu at a restaurant....look at that flyer over there....those cool commercials on tv...all this 'stuff :o and much, much more! You really don't think that 90% and up that your eyes see daily is done on windows or linux do ya? ;) Sure alot of it 'can' be done on win but it is not. The pro's use mac, That's just how it is, and will be for a long time. Just as many here are die hard linux'er's. Mac'er's are Mac'er's and don't die easy. At least it's unix.

Ah ha, something

what about the BIG BIG movies using Linux for cruntching them graphics? eh? eh?

Linux not so bad, some of the mac graphics stuff you can buy for linux now too.

yeah...cool....now we just need to wait another 5 years for linux to be ready for the desktop for businesses to even think about installing it so that their employees don't have to spend all their time learning it. :lol: :wall:

/me runs from cybr....ooooo he's gonna get HOT! :cheeky:

Edited by bvc

/me hit the bleach pretty hard today, but:

what does "there not media" mean.

I can't think right now so need better explanation for me to counter attack.

You old windows hack!

:P

Ok, point of this thread: Is Linux making big strides? Yes. I think we can all agree on that. I have seen unbelievable improvements over the past few years.

Ok, now on to the comparison's: Will it catch Windows in the DESKTOP market? Probably, but not in the immediate future. If bigger companies port products over to Linux *cough* macromedia *cough*, then maybe the smaller companies will catch up and do the same. Linux is far more likely to replace Windows in the business environment than the home market. Simple reason: Games. The big game companies need to provide Linux clients and Linux support in order for Linux to gain a foothold in that market. Some are providing this support for some games (NWN, the UT series, id software), but more companies need to come on board.

What will happen in the SERVER market? Simple. I think there are already at least an equal number of Linux servers to Windows servers (just comparing the 2, not counting the OSX server). I have no figures to back this up, it's just a guess.

Now, on to the topic of debate in part of this thread: Will Linux catch Mac? Probably not. If it does, it will be far off. The reasons for this are fairly clear and stated earlier in this thread: die hard Mac'ers will ALWAYS use Mac. As bvc pointed out, at least it's based on *nix now (darwin). Mac is one of if not the best platform for graphic design. It has been for a long time, it will be for a long time as well. Some people prefer other OS's, but most will agree that Mac is King of that particular hill.

Now, for the movie companies. I just had to chime in here. I read somewhere that Dreamworks (Spielberg's company, made Shrek among many others) uses a Linux render farm to render all of their graphics. I'm not sure if they use Linux to create the graphics, though. Also, I swear I read somewhere that LucasArts also does the same thing. I could be wrong there, though.

Now, to sum up my rant here: Has Linux made huge leaps over the past few years: yes. I believe it will continue to do so in the future as well. I don't, however, see it taking over as the average home users os of choice in the immediate future. Maybe farther down the line, but not right away. Will it take over the server market? Possibly, if it hasn't done so already. Will it dominate a single industry like Mac has done with graphic design? That remains to be seen.