Linux on Desktop Making Big Strides

energymedia

linux can do what mac can do. the question is, why hasnt linux done it? is it because some companies dont want to make their products available for linux? i hardly think so. OSS can do anything.

*cough :o

such contridiction.... here you say it hasn't....now it does?

:unsure:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at work for 55 hours, are we getting in a pissing contest?

Sorry, my bad once again you are always right, you always have been and in your own mind always will be.

All hail king bvc!

Quite being a jerk, i wasn't being a jerk to you I only asked and showed that YES, I a Linux zealot thinks it is possible to use Linux in many things.  Even were Mac rains as champ.

But since I don't work as much as you and know as much as you, and can't piss further than you, I guess you can just bite me.

l8r  sir bvc

if you can't see how linux can't do what mac does for the printing/graphics industry after my post above, I can't help you and it only proves you're overzealous with linux. The fact that you're pissed off, doesn't help either..

I was at work for 55 hours, are we getting in a pissing contest?

Sorry, my bad once again you are always right, you always have been and in your own mind always will be.

All hail king bvc!

Quite being a jerk, i wasn't being a jerk to you I only asked and showed that YES, I a Linux zealot thinks it is possible to use Linux in many things.  Even were Mac rains as champ.

But since I don't work as much as you and know as much as you, and can't piss further than you, I guess you can just bite me.

l8r  sir bvc

if you can't see how linux can't do what mac does for the printing/graphics industry after my post above, I can't help you and it only proves you're overzealous with linux. The fact that you're pissed off, doesn't help either..

I'm not pissed, just want you to bite me! :lol:

cybr, I appologize for the work comment!.....I know what you do....and if you were at work for 55hrs I know you have a lot of waiting time. Sorry.

you can get up now :P

When I'm not installing/removing servers all day, I'm on phone conferences about projects and since I can't pay attention for longer than 2 minutes i post comments here with my crazy friends like you and os_learner.

B)

btw, Linux is still better!

:slack: can do a whole lot more than my mac can. :ph34r:

When did better come to question? Who defines what better is? :screwy: ...that's a dead end as well.

what mac :lol:

I do

um, were is that mac, i know i had it somewere around here??

bvc

i'll admit that i am a bit biased. i never said i wasnt. the last time i saw apple/mac was before there was a mac (back in the 80's). i have grown up in the M$ world. from M$ DOS, WIN3.1 to XP.

that being said, if i ever BUY another computer, it WILL be a Mac.

i like the linux OS, but the Mac OS is bsd 4.4 so to me theres little difference in the kernels. i can compile either one. i can run shell on either one. just Mac has Aqua........yeah and..........

i always wondered why a Mac person would switch to linux. if Mac is all that, then why? i'm not saying it isnt all that, but it makes me wonder.

why does anyone switch at all, to anything? Could be a 1000 reasons, each specific to the user and could be seasonal as well. Me? I'm in xp right now and have been since last thursday. Why? Guess I'm at a stage where I just want to install | work | done. My configing days are done (I hope) [burn out! burn out! burn out!]. So why would a linux user switch to windows? :lol: I still have debian, mandrake and suse on here. Suse is very dusty though. I'll continue to update 10-CE>Stable>Official and help here and will still use ml and deb, but right now I'm enjoying the easy road and all the extra time it's giving me for other things.

Just because there's snippets of code from bsd in mac and that it originated from it doesn't mean it's anything like it now. I'm no expert on that but that's what I've read several times, even yesterday. Maybe someone else can explain? If we care?

If you really want to know why or get a viewpoint as to the possible 'why?'....pm ezroller ;)

I've never had one.....used them.....see them all day everyday and don't see a big deal really for an everyday desktop. They look good, but eyecandy isn't everything..../wait...or is it? :lol:

Edited by bvc

bvc

while i thank you for the screen shot, i have already seen screen shots. my point was "so what". mac has aqua, linux has kde, gnome, and on and on. with the "looking glass" project, that could put linux ahead of other desktops in some ways.

as far as the reasons why, i've simplified it down to 2 essential reasons. 1) not satisfied with current OS. 2) currious/tinkerer.

while you are suffering from burnout, i dont like scripting any more than you, however i dont like OS's that do it all for you and take all the control from you. i endured that long enough with windows. i enjoy my freedoms, although sometimes the same freedoms can be annoying. which do we choose, freedoms? or lack of freedoms?

btw, why would you use "windowblinds"? in linux i dont need "windowblinds". i can customise it all i want, if i want. the last time i saw "windowblinds" was on windows, in which case it cause the system to become....shall we say, more unstable.

Edited by linux_learner

looking glass won't even put linux ahead of itself. Looks worse than gtk1.2....like tk...yuk! I started to edit my post the other day after looking at it some more but said, "na".

Wb has been very stable for a loOOooong time. I've used it for 3 years. Been stable for 2 or more. Heh, in linux you need looking glass? :lol: While skins in linux have greatly improved, like just about everything else.....it's still not even close to wb (yea it's free....well you get what you pay for). Yea! lets see some of that customization that takes over an hour :lol: I can change everything with Object Desktop in 5 min or less depending on how picky I want to be....in the above case? not very, I did that in 2 or less for this mac discussion including taking the screenie and uploading. :thumbs:

No control in win? What can't you control? I have no prob with win. I don't make mountains out of ant hills and security is highly over rated so don't go there.

Edited by bvc

i wasnt gonna go into security. if you'd like, i can oblidge.

windows installs where it wants. apps install where they want. windows uses the registry as a pointer as to where and how things work. to "fix" windows there are extremely limited options. i used to fix windows. in fact i was doing it so much, i had to build a site to take the load off of me. (80+ contacts asking me to fix their windows). linux, i am still learning.

now whats interesting is, my wife is no techie. doesnt know much except how to surf the web, check email, listen to music, and compose letters. my wife got sick of windows. she demanded linux. she wanted something that "just works". when we did run a dual boot, she would on occasion boot into windows, only to find out that she "misses" kde. she loves the gui of linux over windows.

lets be clear on this. we had been running XP for like 2 years (i beta tested XP). i had tried various themes, skins, windowblinds, object desktop, and so on. i became so proficient at fixing windows, i can still in some cases, walk a person through editing the registry. (not having looked at windows in over a year has taken its toll). to be even more clear, i did BUY XP after it was released to the market at full retail rate. i no longer own/posess any windows software.

in linux, i have rarely had to edit scripts, or such. the post install "just worked". thats in suse and mandrake. for me, linux "just works". i leave linux up and running for weeks, or months at a time. the last time i had a reboot was due to a power outage.

i struggle with apps in linux, but then i struggled with apps in windows to. in windows it was run time errors and editing the registry, and pray it works.

the other day i downloaded and installed "dansguardian". i thought i had to configure this and that. i was wrong. all i had to do was activate proxy settings in my browsers. i've had similar problems in windows. (helps to read the directions).

I've always found it interesting that people have such problems with an os that is so popular and that I and everyone (yes, everyone) I know have very few problems with. Of course that doesn't count mouse-click-happy ppl with no common sense that get and give viruses :screwy: Ppl don't like the $ in M$ so they talk, and that's the matority of it.....talk. Just like security/viruses are highly overrated....it's just talk to get everyones $ which is why I even sought after something else...$. Security really bores me, bigtime. I myself don't install win 'correctly' nor do I run it 'correctly' so know why mine has always worked. Get the junk out. One helper.... http://www.litepc.com/

BTW, you can install win and apps where ever you want. :rolleyes:

arthur, aren't you the wise one :juggle: it was you that made the false claim to start with, assuming everyone here would roll on your side. Keyword here is assume :lol2:

ppl switch to linux and hit the linux forums because their crap won't fly anywhere else, and somehow they become the elite. The attitude drives many from other os's away. No denying that.....seen that said many times.