I'm not giving up

thebra

Well I am having issues with Mandrake 10. This is my first time to install Linux. I have a dual boot with w2k. I am having problem with it locking up and thought I had fixed it but it is still happening. Is there a better distro (not better but easier) or should I get an older version (stable) of Mandrake? I've read that Mandrake is one of the easiest to install so I am frustrated that I'm trouble with it. I have thought about trying Red Hat Fodora but I am happy with the way Mandrake works, when it works for me. Basically my question is if I would be better of using a diff distro or and older version than 10.

I, too, am running a dual boot Win2K/Mandrake 10-CE system. I have had no problems at all.

Can you give us more information to work with? Tell us about your system hardware, in as much detail as possible. Tell us what you are doing when it "locks up". We'd love to help, but we need more information.

:)

if you want , a easy distro there is xandros or lindows but they are not free. but you should try to update your mandrake ten, because there is a lot of updates avaible because its not a official release

to update you should read about urpmi :

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/eggnbacon/docs/...owto/index.html

and set up your urpmi repository in :

urpmi.org/easyurpmi

and then in the software management part of the mandrake control center you are able to see all updates avaible.

hopes this helps a little bit.

I have an ABIT motherboard with NVidia chipset audio/lan onboard, ATI Raedon 7500 AGP, usb mouse, 60 gig hard drive with w2k/mandrake 10 dual boot with LILO, DSL modem 1.5-3.0mbps, 512 DDR memory. It is locking up at completely random times and I can't move my mouse. I had some trouble installing it, it would lock up when I was partitioning, formating, and copying files. Is it possible that my partitions are to small and I am out of space? (I have installed some updates) I have / = 799, /swap = 512, /usr = 4 gig.

Do memtest86, you can install it in the MCC -> software management -> software installation thing. It should give you an extra entry on the bootloader, which you have to choose and let do its thing for 5 rounds or so,.. this may take a few hours.

Also, have you checked your bios settings, are you not overclocking, etc???

I was overclocking for win2k but reset to default before installing Mandrake. I tried to update mandrake, it downloaded the 190 fixes but froze while installing them. I have never had a memory issue in windows but will try what you suggested.

That things (i.e. memory) work in windows means nothing; linux starts using the memory from the other side, if there is something wrong there, you won't find it in windows unless you load your machine with lots of programs, in which case people usually think it is just windows that can't take the load when it crashes...

Some bluescreens are not win but hardware problems.

Also, check that you have good settings in your bios.

Another thing: if it locks, what do you mean? Do the keyboard lights blink? Or can you still move the mousepointer, but the rest of the desktop doesn't react anymore?

Can you do ctrl-alt-F1 to go to non-graphical mode?

Glad you're happy! :)

Sometimes, even in the non-Windows world, a re-install can fix things up. I know whenever I upgrade my Linux, I format the "/" partition, and install from scratch....

I just made my machine linux only on accident. Does that count? I have MDK 10.0 installed now, and XP Pro. I cannot boot to XP pro, this is the second time that mdk 10.0 has been on this machine. The first time I had 9.2 and updated with the 10.0 repository using urpmi. When I try to boot to windows it tells me that ntloader is missing press ctrl alt delete to restart your computer (and the screen has about 15 random characters on it in random areas of the screen) I have tried booting from a 98 boot disk and using fdisk to clear the MDR but it does the same thing as before it just doesnt go through LILO first. Can anyone help with this? I can still get my data which is the big thing but until I can get 3d acceleration out of the savage card on the laptop Xp is my only way of watching dvds.

Ok, that only counts half since you would like to run windows...

Some laptops are really crappy in the sense that you have to use winxp to change bios settings, I hope you will find a way to manage.

OTOH, you don't need 3d accelleration to watch dvds at all.

This should work with the normal savage driver or even fbdev.

On a side note, I read somewhere that some savage chips (though not all - and they are often indicated the same by the vendors, so you can't tell from the name) do work OK with linux, even 3d accelleration. The others do standard 9.8m/s2 accelleration better... :evil: