The New Linux Speed Trick

Huerzo

This piece of news caught my eye a moment ago. According to this article, "kernel 2.6 introduces improved IO scheduling that can increase speed -- sometimes by 1,000 percent or more, [more] often by 2x -- for standard desktop workloads, and by as much as 15 percent on many database workloads, according to Andrew Morton of Open Source Development Labs. This increased speed is accomplished by minimizing the disk head movement during concurrent reads." This so called "anticipatory scheduling" minimizes disk head movement and enables faster read times making Linux systems faster.

Jolly good, should I say...

EDIT: link fixed, I'm sorry...in this board I have to first enter adress, then link's name. Another board has a reversed order...but it's not a good excuse...sorry!

Edited by Huerzo

Now, if the speed increase actually makes it noticable (especially in running applications), then I will switch to kernel 2.6 for all the desktops in the office. As it is now.. I am still using kernel 2.4.x. More stable and proven.

IBM recently had a page on a real live benchmark, where in some situations with file transactions over one whole benchmark 2.6 scored 10x better than 2.4 (3.9secs vs 39secs) which is explained by these io improvements.

For anyone with a decent pc, you will never know - my system rarely gets loaded higher than 5% unless I play a divx where it goes up to 15% or so - and I don't do anything at the same time so it doesn't matter...

For a webserver it does matter bigtime...

Ghil,

[nitpicking]

'Increases of 1000% or more' is not the same as 'increases of 1000 times'. An increase of 1000% just means increase of 10-fold (i.e. 10x)

[/nitpicking]

Still, it's better than a poke in the eye, isn't it? ;)

Alex

EDIT: By 'it', I mean the increase, not the nitpicking... :woops:

Edited by alexpank