why could mdk 9.2 play audio cds and 10.0 cannot ?

Edoardo

As I understand it,

in Mdk 10.0 unless your cd player has an audio cable plugged into your soundcard you can't play audio CD with most applications (eg Totem, kscd)

you can, though, configure xmms to use digital extraction.

this is actually my current workaround, but I do not understand why that was not necessary in mdk 9.2

has anyone answers / fixes / workarounds ?

Edo

PS : it should be well advertised if a newer software version can't do what an older one could do easily

I'm using MDK 10CE, have no CD audio cables in machine at all and yet I can still play CDs perfectly. It could be that you have installed the required package, which is called cdparanoia I think. If you are using Xmms then you need lauch it press CTLR+P and choose the correct CD audio I/O plugin. For KDE apps you can set it to digital extraction in the KDE control centre.

It was always necessary to use audio extraction program/plugin for playback without audio cable between cdrom/dvdrom and audiocard.

But: Why?? Why would you load your system with this? Especially but not only when your cdrom is connected with your audio card with a 2 wire digital cable?

It only sucks up some cpu power and bandwidth on your ide and pci busses...

Just use/put an audio cable between the cdrom and the soundcard, then you can use any program to play the audio cds - just check which volume control slider you have to use.

I can't dare do that in my sony laptop

moreover things worked in mdk 9.1 & 9.2 so my question is WHY 10 cannot do what 9.x did so well ?

ummm...works for me without a cable. Laptop? Maybe this is in the wrong Section? Maybe that is the prob? I don't know. I just know both my dvdrom with a cable and my cdrw without a cable both work.

Edited by bvc

Why??

One less stupid cable. :D Plus I have a feeling that the standard audio cable is analog rather than digital.

My cable is digital, 2 wire. The 3 (4?) wire cables are analog. Using the cable reduces system load.

For laptops things are different, of course...