Going Back to ALT Linux

judland

yep.....gnome screwed if you get the 2.6 pkgs. It starts, but is somewhat crippled if you don't know cli to run stuff.

well, since gnome 2.6 is new, and isn't really an update to CE since it's in version freeze (right? either that or MDK lied...), i would expect there to be bugs :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they lied. supprised? :lol: I'm not....at least it's for the better....maybe....I hope :unsure:

well, 2.6 (when working) has a -ton- of great new features. so let's hope it's for the better :thumbs:

Ok. This will be the last i'll comment on the semantics here. Agree to disagree. I can take any point I disagree with and rebute it and anyone can take my rebuttles and counter those and so on. Different people interpret things differently as we have seen. Point, this can go on until pigs fly and I am ready to move on; however, one point I will make that I feel can't be rebuttled or twisted is this. If it took this many posts to debate what this whole CE release really is and we are having a poll about this, then that is poor marketing.

BTW, to bring up an argument that was mentioned early on. As it stands right now with the RC's leading by 5 in the poll followed by the Finals, and the "I don't care votes" i'd say more then some people are confused.

Edited by spiedra

Ok. This will be the last i'll comment on the semantics here. Agree to disagree. I can take any point I disagree with and rebute it and anyone can take my rebuttles and counter those and so on.  Different people interpret things differently as we have seen. Point, this can go on until pigs fly and I am ready to move on; however, one point I will make that I feel can't be rebuttled or twisted is this. If it took this many posts to debate what this whole CE release really is and we are having a poll about this, then that is poor marketing.

BTW, to bring up an argument that was mentioned early on. As it stands right now with the RC's leading by 5 in the poll followed by the Finals, and the "I don't care votes" i'd say more then some people are confused.

Yes, this does go long, doesn't it! B)

My comments on marketing, when it comes to Mandrake, comes from two different directions: what Mandrake is doing and what they ought to be doing. What Mandrake is doing currently is an improvement over what they were previously doing. Having said that, what "ought" they be doing?

Mandrake has no interest in their perspective of their users. I'm not attacking them, I'm only stating a fact. Their limitation is self imposed; they do not see what their users are about. Now I already know that some will jump up and say that club membership and voting on included software is checking out their public. I do not think it does. Product R&R does not require a user perspective! It starts with a user need, but then must be technically developed for mass use. No public needs to be involved at that point. After a functional program emerges from the minds of talented developers, then average users must be consulted in order to see if the program can ac\tually achieve the desired goal, that is, meet the percieved need. What Mandrake did with the club was simply to expand the pool of "techy" developers, but not open the product to the public. This is why the current strategy of a "CE" is a step in the right direction, because more of the "normal" public checks out the distro. The final, then, ends up having gone through R&R, special users, and thern average users, before it is a release. The thinking is better, but once again their execution is off.

While I see a sign that Mandrake is considering their average user, I don't know if they are consciously doing it, because of their absolutely pathetic communication. Hence, the confused perception about "what are they doing this time?" So, they may actually be stumbling into a successful formula! :lol2: (Something that I think is likely!) If they do not check the pulse of their users, they will continue to fumble around. This is more and more a study on how to take a good product and punt! Football, it means you are not going for the goal, just keeping in the middle of the field. No score, no win.

As far as the twisting of perspective, if the comments are read from the user angle, you will see that it is not twisting, just levels of understanding. Mandrake should be on top of that, not ignoring it. B)

one point I will make that I feel can't be rebuttled or twisted is this. If it took this many posts to debate what this whole CE release really is and we are having a poll about this, then that is poor marketing.

Yeah, but the need for the poll and other things here only started with one post in a confused way, that confused more people. Look at how clear things are sometimes, but some can't help but remain confused. SCO anyone? Look at their stock price, that still hasn't fallen through the floor.

Only a few posts here and there that are confused are enough to create more confusion.

That it seems necessary to have a poll, which has a strange score since the right options are missing, is not meaningful imho.

Finally! I am getting through.

:headbang:

But, if you realise you are confused, you are not, are you???!!!

:jester:

Anyway, CE is not final either (hint: there is no final anymore, just two different beasts to fill up the empty space) .... and yes we can agree to disagree, but even if we don't agree to that, we may still disagree, right?

Darn, this is getting confusing even to me, the unconfusable. Hey, I finally know what I'd like as a board title.....

:lol2:

BTW 10.0CE is far from as bad as some previous finals, may I remind you of 9.2 the drive frying menu hider? Forgot the specific troubles with 9.1 and 9.0, but we all read the comments of 8.2 being the last usable Mandrake....

I think we have finally found a point we can all agree on. The people who agree all agree with each other and the ones who disagree agree with each other so we put this all together and everybody is an agreement.