Going Back to ALT Linux

judland

tyme, sorry about the T in Tyme :D

Just what I was afraid of, people will now tell around that CE is just another rc. Then those who don't want to test will wait that extra month or so, and so OE will be no better than previous finals...

Including finding big problems like the LGcdrom, disappearing menus and the like, only once the boxed sets are out, which will have all this trouble in them.

Next step: tell everyone to just stay away from Mandrake, since they can't get their act together...

It could be different, but it does require the cooperation of the users: us.

A chevvy is a chevvy because that's what the manufacturer calls it.

CE is CE, not another RC. Remember, an RC is a release candidate, which, if not too many bugs are found, will get called final quite immediately. This is not the case of CE.

Like I said before, I find it sad that people seem to expect windows users to be able to adjust to a whole new system, but those same people cannot adjust to some new terminology and a new release cycle.

It is fine if you prefer to compare CE with 'just an rc', but it is not, so don't state that it is. For all intents and purposes, it compares perfectly to previous final releases.

Remember 9.2: LG drives dying, disappearing menus, no kernel source. 10.0 CE: winXP problem/LBA bios setting, first cd not booting.

Forget about number of MB's of updates after x weeks, this means little, and has never been a low number anyway.

So, CE was as much final as any previous finals, IMHO better than any Linux I installed previously. But it is not FINAL 10.0. It is CE. There will be OE, but since I updated everything yesterday, 472MB of updates, I am for all intents and purposes already running that.

10.0 CE is also not UNSTABLE as has been proposed, since running unstable doesn't lead to running the boxed product as I have just explained starting out with CE and updating does.

IT IS A DIFFERENT BEAST!

And: they bothered to come up with a different name for it.

10.0CE compares to 9.2final, and 10.0OE compares to 9.2.1 clubmember edition.

RC's are treated in a different way, so it cannot be an rc. (Short time span between rc and final, just to dot the i's and cross the t's that are still found undotted and uncrossed.)

After a final the next version has at least an incremented minor number, so it (CE) is not a final either.

It is not UNSTABLE, since running it and updating it leads to the stable version.

Hey, I know what: why don't we just go by the explanation that Mandrake gave about all this, and also use the quite fitting terminology that was presented.

We could just call 10.0 CE: Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition!

Why has Mandrake done a poor job at marketing this idea? I have to disagree, they have explained it perfectly well in the link that cybrjackle looked up for all of us once more:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/pr-releaseprocess.php3

It is quite clear from what cybrjackle already quoted above, UNLESS you really really want to fit the new release cycle in the old 'clothes' of beta rc and final.

People have paid the price for sizzling new cutting edge Mandrake before, if they want to they can do it again. Don't say Mandrake didn't warn them. They can do this as much as they could sell any previous Mandrake final before. And also: they can charge whatever they want. You want it cutting edge? Get CE. Use the update mechanism, and you will run OE.

No broadband? Want all commercial stuff? Want cutting edge, right now? Get CE. Just update, 450MB can be done. Hell of a lot better than > 2GB. And: running Mandrake 10.0 CE => OE long before any packs hit any shelves.

Mind you: no other release that you can buy in the shop allows you to upgrade to a next one for ~450MB of free downloads.

BTW in linux, we are all part of the testing cycle. This is how FLOSS works guys. Instead of complaining about that, we should promote that. Try to get those people on board who accept that and live with it, or better: use it, help file those bugreports, give feedback to developers.

Linux' time has come. I no longer care to convince people to switch to it. I just no longer care about that. The ball has picked up momentum. Where I work, it is a sure thing on the compute servers, and soon on my desktop. Big corporations are pushing it now. Now is the time, imho, to focus on those who will contribute to FLOSS, not just anyone who will 'give linux a try'.

Since writing my linux laptop page, I have found that more resellers are selling OS-free laptops, in Switzerland and Gemany. Asian OEM's have started to offer linux laptops and OS-free laptops. This year HP and/or others will do the same.

What is needed is people who help improve. Both with money and by testing. And all other ways, naturally.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh come on, its an RC! :P

mdk is following the foot steps of RH, make the users get abused by cooker and then release a FINAL!

Seriously, read above from MDK's own mouth. You can call it final, beta, rc , ce what ever you want, but according to MDK it's not a "FINAL"

BLAH!

:D

Just in case everyone needs a refresh and missed it the first time:

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March. This version will be available for download and as a DVD-set through e-Commerce. 

2) Then a Mandrake Linux 10.0 Stable branch will be opened, based on Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community. Security updates and bug fixes will be applied to this tree and will be publicly available in real time. 

3) Two or three months later, in April/May, "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official" will be created from the Mandrake 10.0 Stable branch. It will then be packaged for several products such as the Mandrake Linux PowerPack. Mandrake 10.0 Official ISO images will also be available for all contributors and Club Members; then, after a short delay, Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition will be made available on public FTP mirrors.

Concentrate on numbers 2 & 3 <---- pretty cut & dry if you ask me.

B)

So if we read # 3 carefully, we see that anyone running 10 CE right now is considered what? "UN-OFFICIAL"

Ok, semantics aside, would that be beta, rc or final?

Edited by cybrjackle

Really, everyone.

This is an improvement. Charging for it is a problem? You mean begging for money and inventing a club was better? :D Get real. This is a better direction from a marketing perspective. Include as many in the process, and those that can will buy. It isn't perfect, but it is better.

I think I'll call it "Mandrake-calls-it-CE-but-I-call-it-Mindy". OK, I guess that's a bit long! :cheeky:

Just to chime in here, in my mind, the CE stands for 'Cooker Edition' since that's exactly what it is. They made the CE ISO's from a cooker snapshot. Now, I have been running cooker for a couple of months. Sometimes everything works, sometimes nothing does (ncurses is a fine example). If you don't know what I'm referring to, check out bug 7209 submitted by yours truly.

I agree that it is a better marketing scheme than the beg for money/open a 'members only' club scheme that they had before. I considered purchasing the CE cd's just for the extra software that is there. I decided not to, but that's from personal preference; not anything to do with whatever anyone said about CE.

I find that CE does not have too many bugs. Maybe it's due to the fact that I run it exclusively on my desktop. No Windows, no other distros. Maybe it's due to the fact that I run a urpmi update from my cooker sources at least once a week so I don't see all of the bugs. I don't know.

I think that by calling 'Community Edition' instead of RC3 (or whatever..,.was there an RC2 this time? ) It encourages more people to buy/download/try it out. I know there were something like 300MB of updates within a few days of CE's release. It would make sense to me that when someone installs CE off of the cd's, it should automatically include the CE-branch urpmi sources. Pick a mirror, any mirror, to do this from. Set up one mirror that is dedicated to just CE ISO's, and don't tell anyone else about it. Just make sure it's synced with the main mirrors. That way those that downloaded the CE iso's can update via urpmi without having to hunt for the sources. It sets up the cd sources automatically...how hard would it be?

I'm not bashing on MandrakeLinux at all. I've used Mandrake for years and it is by far my favorite that I have tried. This is simply a new way to get more revenue and more testers before they release a rock-solid (hopefully) Final edition of whatever release they're on. I say good show to them. I think, though, that they have some work cut out for them before people in general embrace the new release cycle.