Going Back to ALT Linux

judland

Mandrake10-CE is a dressed up name for Mandrake-10-RC3. They just just changed the RC-3 release name to CE to make more money by fooling some people into thinking its a 10 final release.

I'm glad someone finally said it. I was gonna but it wouldn't have gone over well coming from me :P .....not that it did for anon either :lol: . Pretty simple folks. I can call my car whatever I want, but it is what it is from the ground up...a Chevy B) Now, it seems many don't want to harp on this because it doesn't reflect good on mandrakes character/integrity (as if they had much to begin with). Nope, I'll stay on the honest/opensource/good for the people side and won't try to put make up on a dog. What they are dong is wrong, and people, especially newbies should be told that it is. Mandrake is doing more harm to themselve than good for sure. Almost 2 years ago I said they were becoming the M$ of opensource and look at them now, without the$ that is. Sorry, won't sugar coat it. :screwy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not chimed in on this, but I just see the same stuff being said over and over again.

Yes, the Community Release was a new marketing concept. Yes, it is a better idea than releaseing it with limited exposure, only to find a plethora of errors when it "goes public". (not to mention that BitTorrent is feable at best, my opinion) Yes, people still want to use the old terminology, for what ever reason.

Since 7.0, my history with Mandrake, I can only recall 2 releases that did not require a bunch of updates after the release. What is needed is a whole community using it to tune it. I will buy 10 in its final form, because I finally see some movement in thier marketing concepts. I still doubt their ability to give customer service, but at least they are trying, which they were not before.

Call it whatever you want. The community has always improved the distro, and I'm glad that Mandrake has come to that conclusion, that is, including the whole community, and not excluding the community. So, my money is going out to them again. (I still have never received my return call/e-mail from my question with 7.0!) B)

I can call my car whatever I want, but it is what it is from the ground up...a Chevy

this logic is kinda flawed, because the product was given a name by the company you bought it from and that's what you should call it. we're simply saying, call it what mandrake is calling it, and be done with it. :P you're car is a chevy because they company that made said so (it's actually a GM, if you wanna get technical ;) ), so just follow Mandrakes naming scheme, eh?

Is it a buggy release? Yes, but honestly it's no more buggy than other mandrake "finals" - I have, in fact, installed and played with it a good bit. But just because it has bugs doesn't mean it's an RC. It's the community edition. it's buggy, but it's not an RC...we shouldn't try to compare it to one because it's a whole new type of release from mandrake with a completely different goal in mind.

Edited by tyme

Sorry tyme for the big T in your name :wall:

I big to differ Artee that only some people are confused and I am one of the few. I did read the post and came away differently. I've found just as many people are confused and as many believe it's a repackaged RC, whether or not that's true. All I can say is nothing surprises me anymore. What's to say it is not a repackaged RC and they are charging money for that. All we can do is take them at their word at the end of the day. And going by the issues with CE, it seems buggier then the other releases that i've had with the exception of Mandrake 8.1. So how about we agree to disagree.

To Judland, I want to make an apology to you. I didn't want to open another can of worms. If I had wanted to debate this RC or not RC question, I would have posted this on the other thread which i'll be doing from now on, but the spotlight has been taken of your quest to seek a resolution to your problem by this going on a different tangent and I apologize for that.

Edited by spiedra

Actually,

Its only complicated by the fact they are cvharging for this edition.

If they weren't it would be obvious ... its a community edition with bugs they hope tO clean up BEFORE the FINAL one they charge for!

Now I personally think this is a great idea! The problem is they are charging for it....

This certainly muddies tyhe waters,

If your bored and want to read something:

The new release road map:

The spirit of the new development road map is to keep providing a release similar to what was released in the past, which will now be called "Mandrake Linux Community." This is the regular Mandrake Linux distribution, based on Cooker, which goes through the traditional QA process. But from now on, a second 'rock-solid' version titled "Mandrake Linux Official" will be released two or three months after Mandrake Linux Community. This new version will include all Erratas applied to the initial release, and as a result will be particularly solid and problem-free. The Community release will be ideal for those who want the 'latest and greatest' features as soon as available, while the second release will be perfect for those who prefer to wait and avoid any potential glitches.

What follows is the development process for our next major release, Mandrake Linux 10.0:

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March. This version will be available for download and as a DVD-set through e-Commerce.

2) Then a Mandrake Linux 10.0 Stable branch will be opened, based on Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community. Security updates and bug fixes will be applied to this tree and will be publicly available in real time.

3) Two or three months later, in April/May, "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official" will be created from the Mandrake 10.0 Stable branch. It will then be packaged for several products such as the Mandrake Linux PowerPack. Mandrake 10.0 Official ISO images will also be available for all contributors and Club Members; then, after a short delay, Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition will be made available on public FTP mirrors.

Regarding product support:

# During the time between Mandrake 10.0 Community and Mandrake 10.0 Official, all updates will be available for download through the official Mandrake 10.0 stable branch.

# Beginning with the release of Mandrake 10.0 Official, updates will be available as usual from the official update tree and will apply both to Mandrake 10.0 Community & Mandrake 10.0 Official.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/pr-releaseprocess.php3

rc/beta, final, you figure it out :unsure:

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March.

Exactly... its the FINAL- Community release.

BUT, when it comes time for 10.1 Community --- I get the feeling everyone will end up treating it just like any other "RC" release. If they are into playing with the cooker stuff and submitting bug reports, they will install it, BUT if they are looking for the latest stable release, they will wait this time for the "real final" before updating their machines.

Here's my problem with this release:

After reading the statement by Mandrake, I am led to believe this is actually Mandrake 10 cooker edition. Cooker being the unstable branch of Mandrake and this the final cooker edition. So that being said, why not change the name to Mandrake 10 unstable? That's it. Nothing else has to be said. This lets the user know that what they are getting is not the final or official version, but unsuspecting noobies and other people for that matter will be lead to believe that CE = the FINAL, OFFICIAL version.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is really a great idea, since this will give Mandrake extensive testing of the product which will lead to a really great distro, but I think they have done a poor job marketing this idea.

Edited by spiedra

..warn the people that this isn't a final product, but isn't an RC either...

Thats what i have been doing, warning them that it is not the final..........and that though its now called a CE release, it should be treated like an RC release.

And if that isn't clear enough, then i give up :D

IMHO iut can't be FINAL when there is another version called STABLE yet to come.

The problem is I think its a good IDEA overall, just the implementation sucks.

In fact, mainly 10CE seems as a good or better than the majority of RC's... but like I said earlier, trying to sell it is certainly muddying the waters.

I agree with aRTee that if you read through everything its plain (at least now) but thats hardly the point. To me the point is that many people will NOT read it all and thihnk it is a final/stable product.

....which makes it a disastrous idea. For both company and users.

I agree ...

Im only hoping this is a one-off that pulls em outa bankruptcy and that they dont get the idea that this kinda trick is acceptable. I personally did't BUY partly becuase it sends them the wrong message. I would have liked to buy (as I have from 7.2-9.2) or there abouts BUT its not the money its the principle.

I FEEL (and this is all that is important in marketing) ... So I feel as a customer that Im paying to be part of a testing release. I expect when 10.0 Stable reaches the shops many people will feel tricked.