Best way to update non-supported distros?

Just a quick question: what is the best way to keep a non-supported distro like Red Hat 8 or 9 up-to-date? (RedHat 9 end-of-life is sometime this april).

The reason for the question is that I am going to be putting together a server on which I am planning on installing Oracle, ColdFusion MX, Apache, PHP, MySQL, and possibly JRun or JBoss. In order to make my life easier, I am removing Mandrake (unfortunately) and installing Red Hat 9. However, Red Hat is stopping their support of 9 as of sometime this April. Therefore, it will be up to me to keep everything up to date.

I am just wondering how people would go about doing this? I realize that I can use synaptic and apt-get and link that with either fedora or (another site that I can't remember right now), but are there other ways? Another question that I will have to consider is whether updates could break any of the major apps that I will have installed.

I hate to take a step backwards from Mandrake 9.2 to RedHat 9 (or even 8), but it simply is going to make my life easier. Unless somehow has a tutorial for installing Oracle 10g onto Mandrake 9.2?

Allo very good points, but the software that I want to put on the box, and thus the reason for the change, is not supported under anything but Red Hat, therefore, I am stuck using Red Hat.

I am most likely going to go with White Box Linux. It seems to be a well supported clone of RHEL 3. With it being a clone, software like Oracle, ColdFusion, etc will run on it. The advantages of using White Box Linux that I can see is that it is free, versus RHEL 3, and it is supported. Once the updates for RHEL 3 are released as source, they are packaged up and distributed for White Box Linux.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

suprise suprise, I have ran white box linux and it's a good clone of RHEL 3, I've ran that too and had to

/me clears throat

use whitebox apt repo to stay up2date if you know what i mean :wink: :wink:

:unsure: